This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With spring just around the corner, you know you’ve been thinking about spring cleaning- your lifestyle!  Trust me, this is the perfect time to get a kick-start on healthy active living, and spice up your life with some healthy activity!  I recently got back into going to the gym and I’ve been feeling great!  I’m slowly getting into a healthy active lifestyle, so I’m going to give you some tips and tricks on how to start and maintain this lifestyle worth living.  Read on and join me on my journey to a healthy active lifestyle!

Start Off Slow

If you’re a first timer at the gym, fear not.  It can be intimidating and daunting to novices, but once you get the hang of it you’ll be addicted to going!  Start off with some light weights and familiar machines and do a couple of light sets.  Once you gain more strength, increase your weights and push yourself to do longer sets.  I also like to look up YouTube videos of my favourite trainers to learn some new exercises I can practice at the gym.

Eat Clean

This is probably the hardest thing for me to do.  I love love love going out to eat and find it super annoying to have to stay home and cook my own meals.  However, with this new lifestyle, I’m pushing myself to go grocery shopping more to purchase healthier foods.  If you’re beginning a healthy active lifestyle, start off by purchasing some food and snacks in the organic aisle of the grocery store.  Although it can be pricey, pick a few items that will help ease yourself into a healthy lifestyle.  Also, try to monitor your eating habits more and eat out less.

Make Time

As a university student, it seems as though I never have enough time to myself anymore.  However, with the start of this new healthy active lifestyle, I’m learning that a healthy body also needs the accompaniment of a healthy mind.  I now take 10-20 minutes out of my day to meditate in order to keep a clear, relaxed mindset.  The Apple store has amazing free meditation apps that are perfect for beginners, like me, who want to ease into meditation.  This is a great tip for keeping your mind stress-free and healthy.

Purchase Power

If you want to go above and beyond with your healthy active lifestyle, change your spending habits.  Similarly to buying organic, try purchasing products your body will thank you for.  In order to keep a healthy body, it’s all about maintaining a youthful glow.  Moisturize your body daily, and invest in great skincare that will keep your skin looking plump and healthy all day everyday. 

Keep At It

The hardest part about starting a healthy active lifestyle is maintaining it.  I’ve struggled with getting out of bed and going to the gym, but the results are definitely worth it.  Once you start this lifestyle, your body and mind will thank you immensely- so much so that it will be impossible to stop! 

I hope these tips and tricks helped influence you to start a healthy active lifestyle!  We’re all in this together!  All the best collegiettes! XOXO

Wilfrid Laurier Student who loves anything and everything related to fashion, beauty and lifestyle. Constantly living life though the wise words of fashion icon Coco Chanel, who preaches, "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."