Hero Images with HC Branding 11?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 11?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Christina @wocintechchat via Unsplash

St. Patrick’s Day is the Perfect Laurier Tradition for Introverts and Workaholics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

From what I’ve seen, a big portion of our university population seems to fall into two categories: introverts and workaholics. Our preference of avoiding people to recharge already stops us from becoming a social butterfly, and when you add midterms, group assignments and overall life commitments into that mix, most students don’t really have time to sit back and actually enjoy their university experience. Everyone always tells us to live our lives, but how do we do that if we don’t really get the chance?

It’s no surprise that Laurier’s most beloved tradition and holiday, St. Patrick’s Day, is just around the corner. Most people I know (myself included sometimes) try to hibernate during this time of year, hence the whole “avoiding people to recharge.” But over time, I’ve begun to realize that the event so many people try to avoid is actually the perfect opportunity for them in so many ways, especially if they are an introvert or workaholic.

1. It’s the perfect opportunity to take a risk

Now when I talk about risks, I don’t mean doing a keg stand and then climbing up a pipeline to the roof of some shady little house. When you’re an introvert, sometimes the idea of just talking to someone new and not running away can seem daunting on its own. Getting friend-rejected or actually rejected is a really scary thing, even though it sounds like nothing. Most people don’t like to put themselves out there if there’s uncertainty involved.

That is why St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect opportunity to actually take that risk and talk to someone. Back in first year, I’d make it a personal goal to get to know as many people as I could in the first month of school before allowing myself to hibernate for the next month. This tip basically follows that principle. There will be so many people out there that you’ll have no shortage of people when finding a new person to try and talk to. If you talk with someone and you guys click, you might have just made yourself a long-lasting friend. And if you don’t, you’ll probably never see them again, so you have nothing to lose! (Brace yourselves though: you might actually have to engage in small talk! *shudders*)

2. It’s an excuse to take a break

In my mind, it’s basically impossible for students to become machines. As much as it seems like we have to, we can’t just study and work forever – eventually we reach a point in time where we burn out and need to take a break so that we don’t chuck our sanity out the window. St. Paddy’s is the perfect opportunity: If you’re going to take a break, then make it a good one! Have a drink with your friends, make new friends, reconnect with old people you lost touch with and join the giant throngs of students gathered on Ezra! If you have something to look forward to for your study break, you can plan your busy schedule accordingly and be motivated to actually work towards something.

3. You can meet so many other people

It’s no secret that St. Paddy’s Day is a pretty well-known event at Laurier. And not just among us Golden Hawks, students from so many other universities and colleges drive up just for the purpose of coming to have a good time. This means there is an insane amount of people you can meet and connect with. To all the introverts out there, this is your chance. This is your window of opportunity to try to meet other people from across Canada and break out of your bubble. And to all workaholics, use this as motivation. It takes one person to completely change your life (whether that be a career connection, a new best friend, a partner, etc.) and this makes St. Paddy’s all the more reason to try to get out and use it as your break!

4. It’s a great way to make memories

Spoiler alert: We might be young students now, but eventually we will grow old and die. One day, you’re going to be looking back on your younger days in university. Imagine 80-year-old you trying to rifle through your photo albums only to realize that it’s basically blank because you were shying away from the world or too busy locked in the library studying. There’s nothing wrong with any of that, but you should try to make memories as well! University is supposed to be some of the best years of your life, and St. Paddy’s presents a great opportunity for you to add something to that empty photo album. Look back and laugh about the mistakes you made or smile over the connections you created. You can’t do any of that if you don’t actually put yourself out there.

There will always be something going on in our lives, whether it be a ton of work, final exams or other commitments. And putting ourselves out there will always be one of the scariest things ever. But we shouldn’t let those excuses stop us from living our lives.

Melissa Wang

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Melissa is a fourth year business student at Laurier with a huge passion for writing and sharing stories. In her spare time, you can find her running a 5km, taking a personality test for the tenth time, binging a novel when she really should be studying or deeply analyzing everyone around her.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her