Life > Academics

Small Things I’ve Added to My Daily Routine That Have Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I don’t know about you, but my schedule has been all over the place since the beginning of the school term. With sSo many places to be and things to do, I can barely keep up at this point. In the past couple of weeks, I’ve started to experiment and play around with some new methods of staying productive. Some of these new methods that I’ve tried out have already impacted my life in such a good way, so I’m here to share them with you! From tips to help you stay on track with schoolwork, to tips that help you with your everyday life, let’s jump into it and talk a little bit about some small things I’ve added to my daily routine that have changed my life.

Productivity Wallpaper

Starting off, I wanted to talk a little about something that I feel has had the biggest impact on my schoolwork and productivity. That being, a productivity wallpaper. I started using my productivity wallpaper a couple weeks ago and it honestly has changed the way I think as soon as I open my laptop. For context, a productivity wallpaper is a laptop or computer wallpaper you can find pretty much anywhere. There are many different kinds, but most have school and personal sections where you can drag corresponding documents or files so that everything stays nice and organized. I also use virtual sticky notes on my desktop to help me stay organized. I have a “To Do” sticky note where I write down all my upcoming assignments and their due dates, as well as a “Personal Notes” sticky note where I can jot down thoughts throughout the day. I also have an “Upcoming Work” sticky so I can see an overall view of when I am working and at what times. My productivity wallpaper has already helped me so much. It’s a constant reminder to keep working hard because it feels good when I can cross things off my “To Do” list. It also keeps my laptop organized so that I know where everything is!

Making My Bed

This one might sound a little self-explanatory, but ever since I started to consistently make my bed every morning as soon as I got up, I’ve felt more productive and motivated to get things done. During the beginning of the school term, I felt so swamped with work and planning out my days that small things like making my bed just didn’t fit into my schedule. I would also lay in my bed throughout the day or even do work from bed, which would make me feel lazy and unproductive. I decided to look into how I could prevent myself from lying in bed throughout the day, so I started putting in a huge effort to make my bed every morning to see if it would help. I also decided to add a lot of pillows and stuffed animals to my bed, which has made me not want to mess it up throughout the day. This has helped me out a lot and overall, I just feel more productive in the morning when I make my bed.

Studying on Campus

I think we can all agree that with the past 20 months we’ve had, we all want to get out of the house. I’ve really struggled lately with doing my schoolwork at home because I just seem to get more and more distracted every day. My roommates are home, and my phone is buzzing. Plus, my bed is right there for me to lounge on. One day, I decided to see how effective it would be for me to study on campus as opposed to staying home. Let me just tell you, if you can get out and study in a library or other study space, you should definitely give it a shot! I’ve found that I get so much more done while working on campus and I’m also just more motivated to get stuff done. Seeing others working hard while also having minimal distractions has benefitted me so much! I will definitely be studying on campus for the time being as I can’t wait to actually get back to some in-person learning!

All in all, there are so many different little things that I’ve done that have helped me out with both school and work. If you’re struggling to stay motivated or organized during this tough time in the semester, I recommend trying out some of these tips and seeing if they help. You’ve got this!

Alexandra Winter

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alex is in her third year of Kinesiology at Wilfrid Laurier University and is also minoring in Psychology. She has been a writer for Her Campus for about a year and a half and has loved every second of it. Some of her main hobbies include reading, working out, and hanging out with friends. Her favourite shows are Money Heist and Euphoria. She has a twin sister and 3 amazing pets who she loves very much.