Six Taylor Swift Lyrics To Live By in the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Taylor Swift was easily one of the most popular human beings on the planet in 2023, with her Eras tour, movie, re-released albums and a new relationship with Travis Kelce occurring all within such a short time span. Taylor Swift rose to a new level of fame, but it was for good reason. Her songs contain lyrics with messages that can be understood as life mantras to live by and in 2024, and we’re going to be listening to her powerful words and taking them into our own lives. Here are six Taylor Swift lyrics and meanings to absorb and listen to in 2024 in order to make your life significantly more powerful.

“I made you my world, have you heard? I can reclaim the land. And I miss you, But I miss sparkling.” – Bejeweled  by Taylor Swift

These lyrics from her Midnight’s album, as well as the song’s entire premise is the basis of being with someone who dulls your sparkle and when the relationship is finally over, you know it was for the better because you can finally be yourself and be happy again. These are words to live by, because people often get caught up in friendships and relationships, making certain people their entire world. Reclaiming the land, as Swift states, refers to reclaiming your own sense of self once that person is gone. Despite missing them you know you missed being your true and authentic self, something you couldn’t be with them. This year, surround yourself with people who make you feel whole and allow yourself to let go of the past and especially people who didn’t treat you the greatest.

“We’re happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time. It’s miserable and magical.” –22 (Taylor’s Version) by Taylor Swift

In her hit single 22, Swift uses an upbeat lyric of someone being full of mixed emotions and describing it as both miserable and magical. This year is going to be full of happy moments, confusing moments and lonely times but the way you change your mindset determines your reaction to these. You can choose to be miserable about the changes and how life may seem to give you options and paths you’re unsure of or you can see it as an adventure and something truly freeing, exciting and magical. Your mindset is the strongest and most important thing because it determines your entire outlook on the events occurring in your life. This year, choose to see each moment as a new adventure and life will become more positive.

“In this moment now, capture it, remember it.” –Fearless (Taylor’s Version)by Taylor Swift

Swift’s Fearless is a message in itself to be free and fearless. However, these lyrics specifically focus on capturing moments in order to cherish and remember them. Living in the moment is a hard thing to do for many of us and little memories will slip away due to the fact that many of us are always looking at what’s to come. As the lyrics state, in every moment, capture the feeling and capture the memories in order to remember it for time. You’ll enjoy life a lot more if you enjoy the moments, capture them and have something to look back on. A great way to do this is to start a scrapbook, journal or some sort of physical book to include photos and written memories you can look back on for years to come.

“And my words shoot to kill when I’m mad. I have a lot of regrets about that.” –This is me Trying by Taylor Swift

In 2023, one of my personal life lessons learned was to watch what I say, even in times of anger. This ruined a lot of relationships for me and with growth, perspective and Taylor Swift lyrics I learned that this isn’t always the best route. Regretting words spoken is always painful because once they’re said they can’t be taken back and the person on the receiving end will always have heard them. This year, be mindful with not only your words but your actions towards other people. There’s nothing worse than losing someone over things that could’ve been easily said better.

“I forgot that you existed. And I thought it would kill me, but it didn’t” – I Forgot That You Existed by Taylor Swift

In breakups, both friendship and relationships, it can be difficult to ever think of a time where you won’t look back on memories you once shared. But if you’re reading this, you’ve probably been through many friendships or even relationships in your life. Yes, some may still be on your mind and that’s okay. But some aren’t. And this is a reminder that it didn’t kill you, you made it through that one and you’ll make it through the next one. Losing someone isn’t the end of the world and if they were a toxic individual to begin with then it was beneficial to you. Even if it feels like you’ll never stop thinking about them, trust me, you will. This year, we’re putting the past behind us and allowing new people and opportunities to enter our lives to mask the past.

“But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time. Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time.” –Look What You Made Me Do by Taylor Swift

Swift’s Reputation album is a redemption album in itself and if 2024 is a year of growth for you, then this is the perfect mantra. Every year you will get smarter and work harder and become a better version of yourself. The first step is believing you can do it and rising from who you used to be into empowering this new you. Everyone can do better and be better. This year, push it to the limit and try all the things you thought you’d never be able to do. You’ll end up surprising yourself and eventually become a better version of you.

Taylor Swift’s lyrics can contain hidden, deeper meanings when you look for them. This year, we are going to capture the good memories, be in a better and stronger mindset and allow for growth and the bettering of yourself. Shake off the doubt and you’ll become enchanted with the person you’ll become by the end of the year.

Kaileigh Klein

Wilfrid Laurier '25

My name is Kaileigh & I am a communication studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. I am the Vice President of Writing for our Her Campus chapter & love everything there is about writing. My career goals range from journalism to marketing, with interests in all creative fields as I love reading, writing and content creating. I love reality TV & am a huge gym rat, as the gym is my favourite place to be. I am also quite obsessed with Taylor Swift & true crime podcasts.