This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s 2021, we’ve been dealing with COVID for about a million years, and face masks have become a fact of life. For a lot of us, masks are no longer just about protection, they’re also a fashion accessory; why the hell not, if we have to wear them every time we leave the house anyway?

But obviously, masks are mainly designed for safety, and because of that, they tend to be really thick. The thicker the mask, the safer you are (at least, that’s what I’ve been told). And thick masks tend to mean less ventilation, which means sweating. For a lot of us, that means breakouts. So. Many. Breakouts. My skin has taken a beating this past year, and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Luckily, I have a solution that is both stylish and good for your skin: silk.

I’m sure I’m not the first person to recommend this, but in case you haven’t heard, silk face masks are a thing and they rock. They’re lightweight, breathable and gentle on your skin. If you have sensitive skin, they’re definitely something you should check out.

Silk also looks so fancy. A lot of these masks are sleek and tight-fitting, and you can get them in a variety of different colours. Since a lot of them are homemade, they tend to be customizable, so you have a chance to get a shape that will fit your face well. It’s awesome because they’re not just practical, they’re also quite nice looking, and maybe it’s just me, but I feel like such a fancy lady walking around in my silver silk mask.

These masks are a bit more expensive than cloth ones, but the skincare benefits make up for it. When you add on the fact that they look awesome, it’s totally worth the price. But wait, there’s more!

As I said, a lot of these masks are homemade, which means that by buying these masks, you’re not only looking after your skin and your style, you’re also supporting local small businesses! You can feel good knowing you’re supporting individual people’s business ventures, and you’ll look cute doing it!

So there you have it. Silk masks are a lifesaver for people with sensitive skin, they look great, and they’re an awesome way to support Canadian small businesses. There’s literally no reason not to give them a try!

If you’re interested in purchasing silk masks, below you will find a few small Canadian Etsy distributors that make and sell silk masks. Check them out!

PurpleSheepCreations: I’ve bought from this seller before, and the masks are amazing. You can currently buy two, get one free, and masks are as cheap as $8.99! Sizes are customizable, masks are double-layered and shipping is quick and easy.

SoftStrokeSilk: These masks come in a crazy amount of colours! They have a nose wire, adjustable straps and a sleek fit. Shipping is free and masks are affordable. This seller has amazing reviews, so you can trust that you’ll be getting a quality mask.

LilaSilkCo: Unlike the previous two masks, which are cut to fit close to the face, these masks are pleated, which means they will be slightly less flattering, but they will fit looser; they’ll be excellent if you have to wear them for longer times. The masks have a nose clip and adjustable straps, free shipping and extremely positive reviews. If you find tightly fitted masks don’t fit your face properly, these are the way to go.

Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!