Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Signs That You’re in a Situationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Situationships can be complicated. How can you define this relationship with someone? Are you more than friends, but not exactly defined as a couple? Are you friends with benefits? Or maybe you’re close friends that have feelings for each other? Situationships are quite a gray area and can leave you feeling confused. If you think you might be in a situationship, here are some signs that can confirm that you’re in a situationship.

Undefined Labels

The biggest indication of a situationship is undefined labels. If you or the other person have not established it as a serious relationship, verbally or written, then you’re in a situationship. With hookup culture being so normalized, it becomes harder to identify a real relationship. Unless the other person has asked you out properly, it is not a relationship.

No Deep Conversations

One important aspect of a relationship is having deep conversations. Whether it’s about your futures, goals or aspirations, it means you two are interested in getting to know each other. Sometimes, these talks can go to a certain extent, but it’s still a step closer to forming a deeper connection with this person. If you’re missing this, then it’s likely that the other is only looking for a hookup.

Lack of Emotional Connection

In any relationship, an emotional connection is essential. It’s what helps the person realize that you’re more than just a booty call. Emotional connections help you grow as a couple and they are what form a healthy relationship. A lack of emotional connection just means meaningless sex and hookups.

Inconsistency

In a situationship, you never know when the other person is going to reach out to you. One day you can go from talking every day to suddenly being ghosted. Because of this, you’re left feeling anxious waiting for them to answer. One should never feel uncertain about someone talking to them. A relationship would mean you can easily reach out to each other or you’re in constant communication.

If your relationship fits these signs, then you’re definitely in a situationship. Now, it’s time to think of the next step. Are you tired of this predicament of uncertainty? If you answered yes, then it might be time you talk to the other party. If you’re looking to take this relationship a step further, it’s best that you address your feelings to that person. There’s a possibility that the feelings are reciprocated towards you. It can be scary to confront someone with your feelings, but you don’t want to be stuck in confusion. 

Don’t let this situation stop you from meeting other people. Although situationships can be seen as inadequate, you can learn a lot about yourself in terms of what you want in a relationship. If the situationship doesn’t work out in the end, take this as a learning lesson rather than another sad “break-up”.

Sahaana Jeevendra

Wilfrid Laurier '24

My name is Sahaana Jeevendra. I'm a first year student at Wilfred Laurier University studying Business Administration. Some of my aspirations for the future are being a successful woman, be happy, and continue to live life to the fullest.