assorted zodiac signs?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
assorted zodiac signs?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration on Canva for Her Campus Media

The Signs as That 70’s Show Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I have never watched a sitcom quite as fantastic as That ’70s Show. As the name suggests, it takes place in the 70s and follows a hilarious group of high schoolers that spend their days getting up to shenanigans in Eric Forman’s basement. With so many diverse characters, I thought it’d be a fun game to match them with the 12 zodiac signs. So I grabbed a notebook and a list of the signs, and here I go!

(Disclaimer: That ’70s Show makes use of a lot of tropes for humor, so these assignments may feel extreme.)

Aries – Steven Hyde

Dates: Mar 21 – Apr 19

Traits: Eager, dynamic, quick and competitive

Hyde is a fantastic guy. He’s insanely funny and quick-witted, never turning down the opportunity to pull a prank or a joke on his friends. He’s the mastermind behind the group’s mischievous activities, and the smart “tough guy” of the group.

I put Hyde as an Aries because he’s always down to do anything with the group and he tends to be the guy that hypes everyone up to do crazy things. He also tends to be very competitive, especially when it comes to competing with Kelso over girls.

Taurus – Kitty Forman

Dates: Apr 20 – May 20

Traits: Strong, dependable, sensual, creative

Kitty is the funniest mom I have ever seen on TV. She’s always worrying about her “baby boy” Eric (even though he turns 17 in the second episode), so much so that she often imagines really funny and unlikely scenarios that can go wrong when she’s not there. For example: during Eric’s birthday she imagines that his friends have tied him up in a chair, while all his friends “go wild” in the house around him. It’s truly a great scene, so here’s the link.

I put Kitty as a Taurus because at the end of the day she’s one of the most reliable characters in the show. She always tries to give the best advice and acts like a supportive figure for her kids and their friends as well.

Gemini – Fez

Dates: May 21 – Jun 20

Traits: Versatile, expressive, curious and kind

Fez is an exchange student who joins the group before the show starts. Fez’s name is actually a phonetic version of the acronym FES — Foreign Exchange Student, and it’s a running gag that no one in the show actually knows what country he comes from. Despite only knowing the gang for a short amount of time, he fits in with the group immediately, joking around with Hyde and Kelso in nearly every episode.

I put Fez as a Gemini because he showcases a lot of the Gemini traits. He’s very kind and polite to new people he meets (unless he sees a hot girl) and he tends to be really curious when it comes to American culture. He’s also never scared to express his true feelings, and he does so in a variety of creative ways.

Cancer – Bob Pinciotti

Dates: Jun 21 – Jul 22

Traits: Intuitive, sentimental, compassionate, protective

Bob Pinciotti is the ultimate 70s dad. He’s constantly making silly jokes and embarrassing his daughter, Donna. Bob loves to go on random fishing trips or camping in the woods, but he also has a love for the banjo. He owned a department store called “Bargain Bob’s,” and later in the series he makes a fortune for inventing a tissue holder for your car. I’m learning a lot from the That ’70s Show wiki.

I put Bob as a Cancer because he can be very compassionate and generally exemplifies the loyalty of this sign. He’s definitely a protective figure for Donna, and he feels the need to look out for her friends too, giving lots of well-meant advice to “you kids”.

Leo – Jackie Burkhart

Dates: Jul 23 – Aug 22

Traits: Dramatic, outgoing, fiery, self-assured

I don’t think this one is a surprise to anybody. Jackie practically embodies the dramatic flair and confidence of a Leo. She’s constantly on the lookout to be the best, and she’s the most ambitious person in the group. Jackie is also very popular and likes to be the center of attention, often making excuses to gossip or talk about herself. If you want an extreme example of a Leo, Jackie’s your girl.

Virgo – Eric Forman

Dates: Aug 23 – Sep 22

Traits: Practical, loyal, gentle, analytical

Eric is the main character of the series, and he tends to be seen as the “most normal” of the bunch. Still, Eric is super loyal to his friends and usually takes part in whatever shenanigans the group is up to, though he often takes the fall. He’s generally a really kind person and tries to make compromises between his crazy friends and his responsibilities.

Libra – Midge Pinciotti

Dates: Sep 23 – Oct 22

Traits: Social, fair-minded, diplomatic, gracious

Midge is Donna’s very social (and somewhat dim-witted) mom. She tries a lot of the 70s fads and likes to invite people over for dinner, especially the Formans. She’s very in touch with herself and her emotions and she seems to practice mindfulness exercises like meditation. She can be a really calming presence as opposed to Kitty’s worriedness and Red’s aggression. Midge is often the pacifist of the group, trying to reason with everyone’s opinions.

Scorpio – Laurie Forman

Dates: Oct 23 – Nov 21

Traits: Passionate, stubborn, resourceful, brave

Laurie really marches to the beat of her own drum. She’s Eric’s older sister, and she’s supposed to represent the chaotic life of a college student. She’s not the type to focus on grades, and she spends most of her time partying with her new college friends. She can also be a little manipulative and tends to take advantage of Kelso’s admiration of her. While Kitty adores her son, Laurie has Red completely wrapped around her finger and uses this favouritism to get what she wants. She’s not afraid to do what she wants, and she can be really stubborn when it comes to working with her little brother. Still, she knows what she wants, and she uses all means necessary to get it.

Laurie’s not all bad though. Later in the series, she offers to marry Fez so he can stay in America despite his expired student visa, a bold and brave way to help out her brother’s friend.

Sagittarius – Michael Kelso

Dates: Nov 22 – Dec 21

Traits: Extroverted, optimistic, funny, generous

Kelso tends to be the runt of all the jokes in the group because of his… poor mental capacity. He says a lot of dumb things, but Kelso is a really lovable guy when it comes down to it. He’s not afraid to joke around with his friends even if they’re making fun of him, and he has a lot of energy and just wants to have fun. He’s the “jock” of the group, and he’s really successful with girls due to his good looks.

I put Kelso as a Sagittarius because he’s always bright and optimistic, and he exemplifies a lot of the other traits really well.

Capricorn – Red Forman

Dates: Dec 22 – Jan 19

Traits: Serious, independent, disciplined, tenacious

Red is Eric’s dad, a gruff navy veteran who constantly tries to make Eric more manly. He has a really dry sense of humour but is also a no-nonsense kind of guy, so he often calls Eric and other characters “dumb asses”. It’s practically his catchphrase. It’s often hinted that the teenagers in their town are afraid of Red, and he likes it that way.

I put Red as a Capricorn because he values traits such as independence and discipline, which he tries to teach Eric through various chores and lessons. He’s the type to have his own way of doing things, which often includes putting his foot down on important matters.

Aquarius – Leo

Dates: Jan 20 – Feb 18

Traits: Deep, imaginative, original and uncompromising

I had to do it, man. Leo isn’t in the show for very long, but he’s a great character while he lasts. Leo is the stereotypical hippie in That ’70s Show, with his long wavy hair, laidback attitude and affinity for saying “man”. Leo is Hyde’s manager at the Photo Hut, and becomes a sort of father-figure for him early on.

I put Leo as an Aquarius because he says a lot of deep and confusing things and is a very thoughtful person. That being said, he’s also high about 90% of the show. At some point during the show Leo actually mentioned that he was an Aquarius, although in an earlier episode he ironically claimed to be a Leo. This could be a mistake on the writer’s end, or a joke about Leo’s marijuana use and bad memory. We’ll never know.

Pisces – Donna Pinciotti

Dates: Feb 19 – Mar 20

Traits: Empathetic, intuitive, wise, artistic

Donna is the tomboy of the group. She’s the girl-next-door with a twist, being that she’s actually more “boy-ish” than her boyfriend Eric, (whom she actually lives next door to). She’s intelligent and witty, with a strong sense of confidence, but she’s typically pretty laid back. She likes to joke around with the guys and generally fits in with them really well — a fun contrast to Jackie, who is very girly in comparison.

I put Donna as a Pisces because, despite her outward personality, she can be really in touch with her emotions, and tends to have a good gut instinct about what’s happening with her friends. She also showcases the artistic side a bit too, dabbling in poetry and short stories.

That’s my interpretation of That ’70s Show characters as the zodiac signs. Some of the characters were really obvious right of the bat, but a lot of them required some thinking to place in the right spot. I’m satisfied with the results though! If you haven’t already, I really recommend giving That ’70s Show a marathon, and see for yourself what zodiacs you think the characters belong in!

Sign dates and traits were taken from www.horoscope.com.

Rebecca So

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Rebecca is a third-year Communication Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University, also working towards a minor in Creative Writing. She's been a writer for Her Campus since Winter 2020. In her free time, Rebecca can be found listening to musicals, playing video games with friends or contemplating various ways to develop the characters she writes about.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.