Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Show More Than Your Significant Other Love This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday that most people either love or they hate. For the most part, the hatred toward Valentine’s Day is due to the lack of a relationship in one’s life – a very valid hatred. However, a significant other doesn’t have to be the only person to be shown love this Valentine’s Day. Here are a few ways to display gratitude and affection towards others in your life this year.

Send a letter

One of my favourite ways to show my appreciation to loved ones, whether it be romantic or not, is by writing them a letter. This is one of the easiest ways to express love in such a personal and heartfelt manner. The feeling of receiving a hand-written note from someone that loves you is so unique and genuine.

Flowers (obviously)

This may seem basic or traditional but sending flowers to someone you love is one of the most classic ways to show your appreciation. I think it would be perfect this Valentine’s Day to send flowers to your mom, sister or even any men in your life! They could use flowers here and there too. This doesn’t necessarily have to be roses, but a small bouquet of your loved one’s favourite flowers with a card can easily brighten their day.

Movie gift card

A fun way to show love to someone would be gifting an experience! This doesn’t have to be a big, expensive gift, rather something they can do by themselves or with someone else. My favourite idea is a movie theater gift card. This gives them the opportunity to go out and watch something new, get snacks and overall, have an exciting evening without spending their own money. I think this would be most exciting for someone who doesn’t take themselves out much, works too much or just needs a night off. Whether that be a family member or a friend!

Facetime

The quickest and nowadays, the easiest way to tell someone you love and appreciate them is by simply picking up the phone and saying it. Of course, phone calls aren’t nearly as exciting and meaningful as seeing your person on a FaceTime call. I think this would be a great idea to set up with a grandparent or someone who you aren’t in contact with nearly as often as your friends or direct family members.

Food delivery

Expressing love from a distance can sometimes be really difficult. The lack of quality time spent together can be drastic, especially around Valentine’s Day. A fun way to express love to someone could be through buying them a meal, even from far away. Uber Eats, Skip the Dishes or Door Dash have given us the opportunity to send a meal to anyone, at any time! In combination with the previous point, sending someone a meal and then having a FaceTime call with them could be a Valentine’s Day to remember. I think this would be especially meaningful to do with a parent or a friend that lives too far away for an in-person dinner date.

No matter how you show your love this Valentine’s Day, remember to express your love every day to more than just your romantic partner.

XO

Olivia Egan

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Third year Psychology student at WLU