Style > Beauty

Sephora Vs. Drugstore: Which Products are Worth the Cost?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I love beauty products. I love trying out new brands and seeing what works best for me. Unfortunately, my wallet takes a hit every time I buy an expensive product with mediocre results. There are some products from Sephora with exceptional quality that you just can’t get from a drugstore brand. Having said that, there are also drugstore products that are of a higher quality than their more expensive counterparts.

1. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner:  NOT WORTH IT!

This eyeliner does have some advantages. You could go swimming in it and there would be no streaks. The thin felt tip is also an amazing feat. But is it worth $27? I think not! This eyeliner will probably last you no longer than a month, as it dries up faster than you can use it up. If you are looking for a similar, less costly brand, try the NYX Epic Ink Liner. Same thin tip, but with a price ($12!) that won’t make your wallet cry.

2.  Bumble and Bumble Thickening Spray: WORTH IT!

I almost passed out looking at the price for the full 8 oz bottle ($40!!) but the volume you get from this product is worth the cost. I have yet to find any product that even comes close. If you are looking for full-volume hair that lasts all day, you aren’t going to find anything better than this from the drugstore. And if you’re broke like me, you can buy the 4 oz bottle for $20, but it won’t last you long.

3. Benefit ‘Porefessional’ Primer: NOT WORTH IT!

$43 for a 0.75oz bottle? It’s a hell no from me. Although I will admit this primer is amazing, there are so many drugstore brands that can get the job done without having to sell your left kidney to cover the cost. E.L.F Poreless Putty Primer is cheaper and decent, although it does feel a little strange on your face. Maybelline also has a great Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser, with a matte finish, which is perfect for oily skin.

4. Benefit Roller Lash: WORTH IT!

This is my absolute favourite mascara. It’s pretty pricey, with the standard size coming in around $33, but I would say it is worth it. It doesn’t clump and lasts all day. It’s lightweight and you can’t even feel it on your eyelashes. I also love the design of the brush, as the curve adds much needed length and definition to my eyelashes. If it is too pricey, a good drugstore alternative would be the CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume, but this lacks the curved brush head that adds so much volume.

Don’t get duped like I did! Remember this article next time you go on a beauty product shopping spree.

Hailey Inman

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Hailey Inman is a first year Psychology major who's minoring in french. She loves reading, writing and painting.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her