This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s starting to snow and the ground is freezing. You know what that means no one wants to leave their warm, cozy bed. If you just feel like staying in and having a lazy night, here are a few movie ideas to get you in the mood for winter.

Home Alone

Although this is a Christmas movie, it’s a classic must-watch for the winter. If there’s one to check off your list and get you comfortable with the snow and winter weather, this is it. Who doesn’t love watching Kevin McCallister destroying the lives of some horrible robbers while he’s home alone? Honestly, this movie will always be a fan favourite. And no, the new ones with a different child will never compete.

Frozen

Who doesn’t love a movie with an ice princess? Although Frozen is technically a children’s movie, as the days get colder and the snow falls outside our windows, it’s time to get cozy in all kinds of blankets and watch Olaf, Anna and Elsa. Some may say it’s just for kids, and to that, I say who doesn’t want to appeal to their inner child? This movie hits the spot for childhood memories and sings “Let It Go” really loudly.

Mr. Popper’s Penguins

Honestly, do I need to even mention the fact that Jim Carrey is the main reason I love this movie? I don’t think so. This movie makes the wintertime seem like something to look forward to rather than hate. Unfortunately, the penguins are only in the movie and aren’t a staple of the winter weather around the neighbourhood. If penguins just roamed the streets, I think a lot of people would be happier when winter came.

Happy Feet

Can you tell I love penguins? If you need to feel a little more upbeat right now, this movie will help. I mean, seriously, who doesn’t love a dancing baby penguin? Plus, following Mumble on his adventures will never stop being interesting. This movie is perfect for the winter vibe. It always takes you on such a wonderful adventure that forces you to sympathize with Mumble throughout the movie.

Ice Age

If you’re in the mood for a laugh, Ice Age always does the trick for me. When the days start to feel short and gloomy, this movie will raise your spirits as soon as it starts. Besides, if Scrat doesn’t make you laugh as he tries to find a good hiding spot for his acorn for the winter, I don’t know what will. These movies were a staple in my childhood, and I’ll continue to watch them every single winter over and over again.

Although there are all kinds of Christmas and holiday movies to choose from, this list is supposed to be for people who feel like they need a break from Christmas movies but can’t do the rom-coms at this time of year. These also appeal to the inner child within us all! If you need a mental break and a good laugh, these childhood films will bring you back without taking you out of the winter mood. Don’t forget during this time of year it’s important to think about your mental health and take care of yourself. Thank you for reading!

Bailey McIntyre

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bailey is in her third year of English studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. From a small town, she escaped when she could by writing whenever possible, as well as reading all things Sci-fi and Romance. She loves Snowboarding, Baking and watching early 2000s movies with hot chocolate. Bailey has a passion for all things writing related and is also the Arts and Life Section editor for The Cord Newspaper at Laurier. Wishing to pursue editing and publishing post grad, writing is her main creative outlet.