Style

Screw Cinderella; Shoe Shopping as a Woman with a Disability Isn’t Always Magical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Shoes and womanhood balance a delicate line, between stereotyping and necessity. Individuals like Carrie Bradshaw, Elle Woods and Dr. Mindy Lahiri have a stunning array of flats, heels and sneakers alike. They are powerful, successful and strong women who not only conquer successful careers and academics but have an admirable shoe collection to boot. Marilyn Monroe even stated: “Give a girl the right pair of shoes, she’ll conquer the world.”

Hell, children are provided with the same perspective in the story of Cinderella, which blatantly states the necessity for women to have a relationship with shoes. Otherwise, how else does one become a princess? 

But what if shoe shopping wasn’t so easy? 

I have Cerebral Palsy (CP): a neurologically-based physical disability that effects my movement and balance abilities. According to the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy (OFCP), one in 500 children are born with CP. As of 2011, it is estimated that over 60,000 Canadians were living with CP. Although this disability has various forms, I have a very stiff gait and walk with a pronounced limp. I also walk with the assistance of orthotics, or “braces,” that I wear on my legs: they are made of plastic and are molded to my limbs. Velcro straps secure them to me. That may seem fine to you, but the result is that my feet become twice their actual size. My constant aesthetic? I look like an anime character. 

Living as a young woman with a disability in a consumerist society has proven challenging. The sheer array of designs and prices of footwear is abounding. Unfortunately, because of my disability, I have not been able to achieve a beneficial relationship with fashion and footwear. Instead, I have had to learn to navigate the seasonal trends of stilettos, Birkenstocks and Steve Madden’s and make peace with what I can and cannot physically wear. But there are solutions to such a situation. I realize that these suggestions may not be accessible for everyone, but I wanted to share some of the ideas that have worked for me.

Budget, Budget, Budget! 

Having CP and wearing braces means I have to buy two pairs of shoes to create one functioning set of footwear. This is to accommodate the size of my braces, which give me two different-sized feet. This can be quite costly. Rather than purchasing a pair of shoes for under $200, my price line typically exceeds that mark. So to cope with this, I make sure to account for a portion of my savings to be allocated to my annual — or weekly — shoe-shopping allowance. 

“Accessible” High-Heels Can & Do Exist

Due to my balance, I have always been unable to wear anything with a heel, especially if the “platform” of the heel was significantly small. Despite never being able to rock Lady Gaga’s insane pumps, I have found myself a solution: platform shoes. The benefit of a platform shoe is the entire shoe is raised as one piece rather than having the insane slope of a traditional heel. This provides a larger surface area for the foot to work with and acts as a better stabilizer. Thankfully, this option has also come back into style! Just be mindful of the height. 
There is NO SHAME in Buying Multiples! 

If you can afford this, I HIGHLY recommend it. I own practically two pairs — for those math people out there, that means I end up buying four pairs of shoes at a time — of everything that fits and is comfortable for me. Shoe designs come and go, but comfy, practical and attractive looking footwear can be seriously hard to find. So when the opportunity arises, go ahead and buy multiples of those shoes you love in various colours. Your feet and wardrobe will thank you later. 

The World is Wide…Your Feet May be Too

Because of my braces, I can only fit into “wide” style shoes. This means I have had to accept the fact that I can never wear those cute Toms or Keds. As a Canadian, I have also found that the United States has a larger array of designs for this option — try online shopping or designate time while travelling. 

Embrace the Practicality of the “Dreaded” Sneaker 

Running shoes and sneakers provide the most wearable and secure form of footwear out there. The combination of athletic design and shoelaces keep the shoes secure and resistant to wear. Over the last year, “athleisure” has become a massive trend, meaning designers have been listening. New Balance specifically has a wide array of colours, patterns and aesthetics to please all fashionistas. Benefit: next time you’re running late to class, you’ll be less likely trip and spill your latte. 

Laces & Straps lead to Loving your Feet

Look for shoes that have Velcro, laces, buckles and straps. Flip flops and slip-ons are cute but impractical. If you don’t have a way of physically keeping your footwear attached to you, you’re more likely to fall and become the next Barefoot-Contessa. Stevie Nicks may rock the look of going shoeless  — but do you really want to walk around that way? Unless you’ve spent the night dancing or performing onstage, it’s best to keep your shoes on! Laces now consist of satin ribbons, straps bedazzled with gems, pom-poms or embroidery and Velcro sandals are typically cheap. If you don’t end up liking what you see, customization may be a great DIY opportunity! 
Disclosure Could Mean a Discount

Personally, I still battle with this. I have to buy two pairs of shoes regardless of style because my braces make my feet two different sizes. This, by far, has to be the hardest and most personal step to buying accessible and practical footwear. If you mention that you need to buy multiple pairs, some shoe companies offer a BOGO discount to assist you. So figure out a way to describe your unique situation. Be clear and confident — the worst thing they can say is no! Think of it this way: if Cinderella’s glass slipper hadn’t fallen off (she must have two different sized feet, too!), the Prince and arguably the Fairy Godmother, would not have been able to reunite her with the shoe. Disclosure could ultimately lead to a more magical exchange with the staff and possibly save your wallet. 

By embracing these tips, I hope your next shoe-shopping adventure is more successful. Shoe-shopping as a woman with a disability is stressful — but it doesn’t have to be. Keep looking and something is bound to appear! With these tips, soon you’ll be clicking your heels with pride and not disappointment. 

G J

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Grace is a twenty-something fourth-year majoring in History and Research Specialization. She drinks way too much coffee, has a passion for old books and movies.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.