Sassy Fit Latina: Karina Flores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This Laurier student is a campus celebrity in her own right. Like most of us, Karina Flores endured the challenges of first year and rose above them. Balancing school, extracurricular activities and creating a fitness regime, she took the first steps to becoming the person that she is proud to be today. Now in her third year at Laurier, as a Business Administration Co-op student, this campus celebrity is dedicated, hard working and the sassiest Latina you’re likely to come by.

What positions do you currently hold at Laurier?

I’ve been an International Ambassador since second year. This year, I’m also a member of the Project Marketing [team] for the Social Innovation Project – a student-run club that encourages social innovation new ventures. I’m also a Salsa Club member.

When did you begin your fitness journey?

A year and a half ago, I got tired of complaining about my body and comparing myself to others. I wasn’t comfortable in my own skin. It was just frustrating. I hated being jealous of other people and wanted to make a change, but a permanent change. I didn’t just want to lose weight; I wanted to change for the better.

I started waking up around 5:30-6:00. I was more conscious of everything I did, especially when it came to food. Now I can make smart choices, because I can tell what my body needs, instead of what it wants.

I try to be active at least once a day. I spend up to three hours in the kitchen preparing my weekly meals, so that it becomes easier to grab things on the go. I’ve found that I’ve also become more money-conscious! I don’t go out for food, unless with friends. I no longer crave the things I used to.

What is your fitness routine?

I take an early run around 6:00 a.m., or go to the Laurier gym to do a cycling class. After which I do strength training: arms, legs, and abs. At night, I’ll do a kickboxing class, pole dancing or yoga. School is now my number one priority and I want to keep it that way. My goal is to sweat at least six times a week, but we’ll see.

What does your meal plan look like?

My meals are a huge part of my fitness routine. I have yogurt, cheese, turkey, crackers, veggies and hummus, premade salads, cooked meat and meals… all components that I can easily put together. I always make sure to have breakfast, which is either oatmeal, whole-wheat waffles with flaxseeds, or spinach, tomatoes, eggs and toast with peanut butter.

What do you love most about keeping active and involved in the Waterloo community?

I love the people you meet and being inspired by others. I joined a kickboxing club in downtown Kitchener. Everyone in the group is at a different point in their life. When I see others push themselves, it makes me want to push myself. You realize that you’re not in it alone.

You’ve decided to go out for the night, where do you go?

Flying Dog on a Thursday night is Salsa night, which means it’s my night! You might also find me at Starlight on a Friday or Pearl on a Saturday.

What are your favourite local restaurants?

I love Thrive, the juice bar in Uptown Waterloo. I’m usually looking for somewhere quiet to take a breather after a long week. In those cases I find myself at Café Pyrus or Princess Café.

What would you say to your first year self?

Enjoy yourself, but with caution. Try to eat healthy and be aware of your alcohol intake. I wish I wasn’t so hard on myself. I didn’t get the positions that I wanted in first year, and now I know that these things happen for a reason. Also, something new and right for you will always come up. Lastly, I would say to just have fun and treasure those little moments.

Give some words of advice for your fellow students

There’s so much more to being a student, you’ve got to enjoy it while you’re here. If you want a cookie, have a cookie… just don’t do it every single day.

Do you have any blogs?

I have an Instagram account. It’s called Sassyfitlatina. I do tips and recipes, but it’s mostly meant as a way for me to keep record of my progress. I try to give helpful tips, but it’s not my dedication or job. Maybe in the future I’ll do a blog, but if I do it, I want to do it well.

Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier