Romance Book Recommendations to Get in the Holiday Spirit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With final exams approaching, there’s nothing I want to do more than forget about all my responsibilities and read some holiday romance books instead. So, here are a few Christmas romances that I plan to read this holiday season.

Lovelight Farms by B.K. Borison

Fake dating is one of my favourite tropes and it only gets better when it’s best friends fake dating. Stella enters a contest to try and win some money in order to save her family’s Christmas tree farm from their financial struggles. The only problem is that she lies on the application form saying that she owns the farm with her boyfriend. Naturally, there’s no boyfriend. So, Stella enlists the help of her best friend, Luka, to pretend to be her boyfriend so she can win the contest and save her family’s farm.

Kiss Her Once For Me by Alison Cochrun

In this book, Ellie’s landlord, Andrew, proposes a marriage of convenience so that he can receive his inheritance and in turn, help alleviate some of Ellie’s financial stress. Only when Ellie is introduced to Andrew’s family does she realize that Andrew’s sister, Jack, is the woman she fell in love with on Christmas Eve the year before. Now, Ellie must decide whether she wants to continue with Andrew’s plan or follow her heart. I absolutely can’t wait to dive into this book. It’s definitely on the top of my list for holiday reads this year.

The Holiday Swap by Maggie Knox

Two identical twins, Charlie and Cass, both have issues going on in their professional lives that they need a break from, so they decide to switch places in hopes that it will solve both of their problems in time for Christmas. The issue with the switch arises when love interests are thrown into the situation. Will switching identities be exactly what they need or will it only cause more problems? Personally, I love anything involving twins switching places. I mean, I watch The Parent Trap at least once a year, so I’m looking forward to reading this book.

Faking Under the Mistletoe by Ashley Shepherd

This book is yet another fake dating trope, except it’s also a workplace romance and a grumpy/sunshine book. While Olivia loves absolutely everything to do with Christmas, Asher loathes it. They end up fake dating because of Asher’s ex-girlfriend and, in turn, Olivia plans to do as many Christmas activities with Asher as she can to try to get him to change his mind about Christmas. Through these activities, Olivia realizes that her feelings for Asher are no longer fake.

One Day in December by Josie Silver

Laurie doesn’t believe in love at first sight, at least, not until she makes eye contact with a man from afar and knows instantly that he’s the one. She spends the next year searching for him with no luck. Eventually, she goes to a Christmas party wherein her best friend introduces Laurie to her boyfriend who, as a shocker, is the man she spent the past year searching for. I really like the premise of this book and can’t wait to see where the story goes.

In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren

This book is a Groundhog Day situation involving a time loop that Mae can’t figure out how to get out of. Mae was on her way to a cabin, where her family and two other families always spend the holiday season when she got thrown into a never-ending time loop. Mae must find a way to change her future and fix her love life in the process.

Jennifer Gibson

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Jennifer is a third year Business student, minoring in Psychology, at Wilfrid Laurier University. Her career goals are to pursue anything that is in a creative field. She loves reading, dancing and hanging out with her friends.