This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Success is intertwined with the Grind Mentality and Toxic Positivity. This type of mindset or way of working contributes to what we know as burn out, and the deterioration of self-esteem and mental health as a whole.

What is the Grind Mentality?

The Grind Mentality is the idea that you have to be “hustling” 24/7, 365 days a year to obtain the goals you have set in mind. Have you heard the phrase “the rich don’t sleep”? On the surface, this may seem like an innocent form of light encouragement, but for those who actually abide by this way of living and productivity, it brings about a greater risk of burnout, lower self-esteem and unrealistic expectations.

On top of the pressures that are already being faced, there are additional internal pressures asserted by adapting to this mentality and work ethic. Overworking and not taking sufficient breaks are what drives an individual to feeling unaccomplished, and therefore, develop a poor self image.

What is Toxic Positivity?

Positive thoughts can be a good thing but the “positive vibes only” mentality that seems to be all the rage recently is known as Toxic Positivity. Toxic Positivity is overgeneralizing a state of happiness or optimism which in turn minimizes, denies and invalidates authentic human emotions such as sadness and stress.

Hiding or masking your feelings or minimizing your own or other people’s experiences are ways in which you can exhibit Toxic Positivity. Trying to tell someone or yourself that the situation could be worse or expressing shame for feeling frustration are also ways in which Toxic Positivity can be displayed.

These perceptions of productivity and lifestyles contribute to failure and insufficient needs – especially in terms of mental and physical health. When you spend all your time hustling and constantly working on one project, and not making time for your needs, you are putting YOU at a disadvantage.

Happiness and success are not only measured by the amount of money you have or work that you have done; your mental wellbeing and relationships also play a huge role. According to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, you need to have a feeling of belonging within yourself, your social groups and through recognition at your workplace. To achieve your full potential, you need to have a feeling of accomplishment. You cannot get to that point if you are shaming yourself for feeling normal human emotions such as grief, frustration or sadness.

A part of your journey to self-actualization is your journey to learning who you are as a person based on your strengths, passions and fulfilling your creative pursuits. The balance between work and positivity can be achieved. You need to understand how you learn, how you grieve, how you tolerate anger and even how you express anger.

Masking your less desirable emotions only leads to future challenges as those supressed feelings can arise intensely and seemingly unmanageably. So, take the time to self-reflect and understand whether what you are feeling has anything to do with what is going on around you. This way, you also learn to be present in the now rather than being caught up in what is to come.

Finding resources that help you cope with the stressors of work, relationships, big life events and even the pandemic, and the changes that it has brought, can help you reduce the pressure that Grind Mentality and Toxic Positivity can have. Your university campus has wonderful resources available, as well as people who are ready to listen without judgement. Reach out, find time for yourself and pamper the bad ass that you are.

Crisis Service Canada: Call 1.833.456.4566 | Text 45645

Hope for Wellness: Call 1-855-242-3310 or https://www.hopeforwellness.ca/

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her