Revamp Your Old Strappy Stilettos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Every girl knows the classic black strappy heels. Extremely versatile and simple, they are definitely a go-to pair of heels that can go with almost any outfit. With all of the recent hype around tassel, fringe, and lace-up details on almost everything, these heels have also been re-emerging in new forms to go along with these trends. But since we practically all already have a pair of our own, why spend more bucks when we can just put in some elbow grease? Here are some of the cutest DIYs I found to make your old heels on par with the latest trends!

To get started, you will need a pair of removable ankle strap heels. If you don’t already have your own, here is a reasonably priced pair I’ve found on Lulu’s website.

Marabou Feather Toes

Remember those old slap-on bracelets we all used to have as kids in the 90’s? Well they’re back and better than ever; except this time we don’t wear them on our wrists, but instead on our toes!

What you will need:

– Strappy heels

– Marabou trim

– Scissors

– Hot glue gun

Trim the appropriate length of marabou trim to match the length of the toe strap. Using a glue gun, run hot glue across the toe straps and then attach the strip of marabou trim to the heel. Press and hold for about 30 seconds to ensure that it sticks and voilà! A chic pair of Carrie Bradshaw-esque heels on a not-so-New Yorker budget.

Lace-Ups

Laces have been seen on just about everything recently. Shirts, sweaters, jeans and – you guessed it – heels.

What you will need:

– Removable ankle strap heels

– A roll of leather or satin cord

First, remove the strap from the heel. Put the heel on and pull the cord through the loop that the strap was previous in. Wrap the cord around your leg until you reach a desired length and then cut the cord and tie them up! For an extra touch to this style, check out this DIY that incorporates additional tassels. This brings us onto our next option.

Tassels

Our next revampers are tassels. They add a fun and feminine touch and are so easy to add to practically anything.

What you will need:

– Ankle strap heels

– Scissors

– Suede fabric

For this DIY, you can either purchase pre-made tassels or make your own. To make your own, cut the suede into strips and then make slits, leaving a bit of space at the top. Place another thinner strip of suede, folded in half, with the fold above the original suede fabric. Roll up the suede with the folded piece in the middle to create the tassel with a loop. Then, simply slide the tassel onto the strap and the look is complete! Get multiple colours of fabric to create a colourful or ombre look, or stick to a classic all-black look. Check it out here for more photos and step-by-step instructions.

Fringe

What you’ll need:

– Suede fabric (or pre-bought fringe)

– Scissors

– Hot glue

Start by trimming the amount of fringe you would like to glue onto your heel. If you can’t find fringe to buy, then make your own by buying suede fabric, cutting a strip of it, and then cutting slits up the strip to create the fringe look. Then simply glue the fringe to whichever part of the heel you want! You can either glue it with the end toward the back, making the fringe cover the front of your foot, or with the fringe ending towards the front so it hangs over your heel, or all the way around for a super fringe-y appeal. Add additional strips of fringe to create a layered look or add laces to further spice them up!

Saving bucks and getting creative never looked so good.

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem