Wellness

Relay for Life is Happening on Saturday and It’s So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Cancer is something that affects all of us, and we all know someone who has been affected by cancer one way or anther.

The simple way of explaining cancer is that it is when some of our cells become unhealthy. These cells can then group together, causing tumors, which may spread to other parts of the body. However, people’s reactions to cancer aren’t so simple, and neither is treating it.

As we already know, there is currently no cure for cancer, but there are things we can do to help. This week, I was given the wonderful opportunity to talk to Lillie Proksch who is a co-president of Relay for Life at Laurier. She answered my questions about this great event!

You may be asking yourself what Relay for Life is. Well, it is the annual event that happens across Canadian university campuses and communities. It is an overnight event that lasts 12 hours. Those who want to participate can sign up as a team with their friends, family or even strangers to compete against other teams in a series of challenges. Each team is also expected to raise money leading up to the event, as well as the night of!

This year Relay for Life at Laurier will be on March 9 from 7 PM to March 10 at 7 AM in the Science Atrium. There will be Bingo with Twan, Trivia, and Minute to Win It games. Food will be provided and there are prizes to be won! Lucky for you, there is still time to register, but you only have until March 8 at11:59 PM!

Remember, you have to sign up as a team, so you should ask your friends, roommates, club members, their friends or anyone else you can think of! You can register right here.

If you are unable to attend the event, you can still show your support by donating. All donations will go to either cancer research, treatment plans or support programs for patients. By participating, we are doing our parts to battle cancer.

This event is one of The Canadian Cancer Society’s biggest fundraisers of the year. It is a fun night that helps to raise money for those with cancer.

In the words of Lillie Proksch, “rhis year, universities across Ontario are planning to raise one million dollars for life saving cancer research to work towards a day where no Canadian has to fear the words ‘you have cancer.’”

This is your opportunity to help in raising that million dollars and helping the lives of those with cancer, and we can do it, Golden Hawks! Together we can help fight this battle and beat cancer for good!

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.