A Record Breaking Campus Cutie: Eric Limeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Eric Limeback is a familiar name around Laurier’s campus. Inspired by a friend who solved a Rubik’s cube in two minutes, Eric became fascinated with solving this puzzle. Six years after he completed his first cube, Eric went on to set the world record for most cubes solved right here at Wilfrid Laurier University.

Name: Eric LimebackHometown: Toronto, ONYear of Study: 3rd Year        Program: BBA         

I remember you solved a Rubik’s cube for our O-Week talent show in first year, how much has changed since then in regards to your skills, and your interest in this hobby?

Since coming to Laurier, my Rubik’s cube obsession has died down quite a bit. I still attend competitions in Ontario and showcase my skills around campus, but I don’t practice nearly as much as I had in high school. Instead, I enjoy teaching others how to solve the cube and doing fun projects related to the cube, like the Laurier Toronto Nuit Blanche event, toy store demonstrations, and the 24-hour Guinness record.

Did you know you have a Wikipedia page? How does that feel?

I laughed when I first found out about it years ago. I think it’s pretty neat. Last I checked it’s got a short description of my schooling and a list of my former Canadian records. Apparently it was created by someone who attended my high school, but I’m still not certain as to who it was. I once tried to add a photo of myself to give it some credibility and appeal, but it was removed by a moderator who had stated something along the lines of not being able to “prove that the photo was of Eric Limeback”. Most recently, some of my first-year students (I’m a don in King Street Residence) edited the page to include two new Canadian “records” to reflect my favourite number (214):

·      Most Rubik’s Cubes Solved in Different Cities: 214

·      Poorest Cuber – Balance: $2.14

Has the Laurier community supported or influenced you in this pursuit?

I got a lot of support during my second and third years at Laurier after starting the Laurier Rubik’s Cube Club. It was a great opportunity to meet individuals who shared my passion and I established new friendships along the way. I was most surprised by the immense support I received during my 24-hour marathon of cubing; the concourse was filled during the day with Laurier students to cheer me on, take pictures and post to their friends and family about the event. Also, the Laurier Toronto office and Robert Langen Art Gallery supported me and a team of cubers to create a giant mosaic of Rubik’s Cube art, built from over 3,000 Rubik’s cubes.

Now that you’re a world record holder, what’s next? Is there anything else you want to accomplish from your hobby? Or are there any other pursuits on your agenda?

I would love to try out some form of extreme Rubik’s cubing. I recently uploaded a video to my Instagram account (plug: elimeback) solving a Rubik’s Cube one-handed while snowboarding at Blue Mountain (filmed with a Go-Pro and ‘selfie stick’). I’ve also done cubes on rollercoasters, and I think it would be great to try it blindfolded while skydiving (although, I should probably go skydiving first).

Besides the extreme sports category, there isn’t much I have in mind for the short-term. I still plan to compete and travel with the friends I’ve made through this hobby, but my glory days are over. It’s certainly helpful in interviews, though.

If you were to perform solving a Rubik’s cube, what would be your stage name?

Dr. Rubik’s, SLIMEback, or E-Money

Are you happy with your decision to attend Laurier?

My decision to come to Laurier was not an easy one. I took a year off after graduating high school to consider my options for post-secondary and get some work experience. I graduated from an AP math and science program in high school, but I knew it wasn’t something I wanted to pursue in university. After doing some research and realizing a personal interest in business administration, I happened to come across the Laurier BBA program and recalled a few of my high-school classmates were already enrolled here. After a quick tour of the small campus and getting a feel for the tight community, I made up my mind pretty quickly. I’ve had an amazing experience so far with the activities I’ve gotten involved in and only have one year left!

Where are you involved in the Laurier community?

I’m currently finishing up my second position as a Residence Life Don in King Street residence. Last year, I was situated right in the middle of campus on the second floor of Mac House. Working with the Department of Residence has been a fantastic experience and I highly recommend it to anyone interested (applications for next year were already due, but consider it for your remaining years).

In my first two years at Laurier, I was involved in House Council, Upgrade Council, and President of the Laurier Rubik’s Cube Club. I played flag football intramurals, and I was recently drafted into an intramural handball team by my students (but I’m really no more than just a body out there).

What are you most proud of?

My ability to stay dedicated and gain proficiency at things I am passionate about, both extra-curriculars and academics. I find that things come naturally to me when I focus on them, which helps me feel more confident about the things I do or undertake. I’m proud of my ability to cram if I need to (hehe). I don’t consider myself to be much of an academic when it comes to learning (I much prefer anything self-taught), so I’m also proud of myself for making it this far with school and that I am expecting to graduate next year.

School can be a rough, managing school with your social life, so when things go wrong, what keeps you motivated?

I’ve found motivation in the past two years as a Residence Life Don by working with my students and other staff. Other Dons in the building are constantly motivating me to do better, be a better role model and undertake new projects in residence. My students also offer a fresh perspective on academics; sometimes when I see them studying hard for New Venture or big midterms, it gives me some perspective to think back to how hard I worked in first year, and that it would be a shame to not finish at Laurier. In terms of managing my social life, I could still use some work on that. I don’t need motivation, I just need to put more effort out and better manage my time.

If you could go back in time, what is one piece of advice you would give your younger self?

Drink more water, stretch, take up yoga, heck I don’t know I’ve had a pretty good life so far and I’m thankful for it.

Looking ahead, what’s one piece of advice you’d give to your future self?

Not to worry about the small things that might not matter in years to come. I’m confident that I can find happiness in my life in one way or another and adapt well to any circumstances cause YOLO.

Thanks for the interview, Eric. We wish you the best of luck with your future Rubik’s Cube adventures. 

Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.