timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Go the Bar Looking for a Hookup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s no secret that when you are out for a night on the town with friends, many are looking for a hook up. You spend your night scouring the crowd for someone who catches your eye. While many end up heading home with a new “friend” for the night, we have some reasons you may want to head home on your own.

That pizza is all for you.

Let’s be honest, everyone wants to end their night out with something greasy and delicious. So, that pizza you want to get doesn’t have to be shared if you aren’t taking anyone home. Just think: extra cheese, thin crust perfection all to yourself and not for some random person you picked up.

The bed is yours for spreading out.

Once you’ve made it home safely, the end goal is bed – not entertaining someone for another hour or two….or three. You can strip out of those nasty bar clothes and crawl into your warm space. Your bed is another thing you don’t have to share with the random person you could have picked up.

Your biggest concern is you.

While bringing someone home for a little fun after a night out sounds great, if you don’t manage to scoop someone up, you have no one to worry about but yourself. That means no one who may have drank too much and potentially throw up, no one to direct up the stairs to your apartment, and no one asking you random questions about your place, your life, and who’s in your photo hanging on the fridge. You alone = stress free.

This is the time to enjoy yourself.

Before we know it, we’ll have full time jobs, serious relationships, and maybe even kids driving us crazy (we’re being optimistic here). So, take the time now to enjoy the night out with your closest friends, and dance like no one is watching (well, to a certain degree). Get your singing voice out, and put on the performance of a lifetime (again, to a certain degree).  When the night is over, you get to leave with your bestie, order a pizza, and not have to worry about indulging in that creamy garlic dipping sauce. It will be a night to look back on forever, and one you’ll be thankful didn’t end with a sloppy hook-up.

Screw your looks.

When you aren’t going out with the goal of finding someone, there’s no need to go the whole nine yards with makeup and extremely uncomfortable shoes. You are free to throw on jeans and Converse and dance your a** off pain free. On the plus side, if you do catch someone’s eye, it will be for how you are as yourself, not dolled up in a short skirt and perfect eyeliner.

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Scarlett Cohen

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.