This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

In light of the recent release of RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 12, I thought that it would be worthwhile to compile a list of the best seasons for new viewers and drag race enthusiasts alike.

For all us drag race fanatics, we all have our fair share of opinions on what season is the best in terms of quality, entertainment, talent and likeable contestants. With consideration to these factors, I’ve compiled a list of the 5 best drag race seasons from Season 5-12.

1. Season 5

This season introduced us to now iconic queens such as Jinkx, Alaska and Detox, and was one of the most competitive seasons in terms of talent throughout the roster of well-established queens. Additionally, we can thank this season for introducing us to one of the most dangerous lip-sync assassins to date, Alyssa Edwards. The challenges and storylines in this season were superior in terms of entertainment value and production which makes it one of the most memorable seasons to date.

2. Season 6         

I may be a bit biased, but I’m putting this season high up on the list because it brought us Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano, who are some of the funniest drag queens to appear on the show. As well, the challenges were hilarious and the lip-syncs were especially entertaining to watch. Of course, one of the most entertaining aspects of this season was the constant light-hearted shade thrown amongst the queens and the highly entertaining Reading is Fundamental challenge.

3. Season 12

I have to admit that even with only a few episodes out, I’d rank this season as one of the best so far because of the strong roster and challenges. Despite the scandal that has overshadowed the season, I loved the double episode premiere and subsequent challenges for their overall entertainment and originality. With a number of all-around talented queens like Jada, Gigi and Jackie, it’s difficult to pick a frontrunner, making this season a definite must-watch.

4. Season 9

Season 9 was the first complete drag race season I watched and was what first drew me into the show. It had a great cast of queens and produced several gag-worthy moments including the infamous Valentina elimination, Trinity’s lip-syncs and the iconic lip-sync finale with Sasha Velour and Peppermint. As well, the reunion episode delivered an excess of piping hot tea for viewers who enjoy dramatic storylines.

5. Season 7

Maybe it’s because I’m partial to fashion queens, but I’d put this season as one of my favourite seasons to date despite criticism from other fans in the community. I’d say that this season is severely underrated for its iconic runway looks from Violet, Miss Fame and Pearl who have produced some of the best outfits that the show has seen to date. Challenges such as the Fashion Show, DESPY Awards and Conjoined Twins stand out and remain in my memory to this day.

Honorable Mentions:  Season 8, 10 and 11

Though all had enjoyable challenges, there were a couple of faults I found with each of these seasons, mainly due to overused drama storylines and unlikeable contestants.

Getting started on RuPaul’s Drag Race may seem intimidating for some due to the sheer number of seasons and episodes to get caught up on but is definitely worth it if you are interested in the performance art world of drag queens. No matter what season you choose to watch, you’ll find quality entertainment in the variety of singing, dancing and acting challenges, with juicy drama as an added bonus!

Cici Wei

Wilfrid Laurier '20

A 4th year Political Science and Management Option Student at WLU.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her