Quick DIY Halloween Costumes that Don’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Halloween is almost here and with life getting so busy, we might not all find time to figure out an intricate costume. To help you get into the Halloween spirit while putting in minimal effort, here are some quick and easy DIY costumes, all while barely spending a dime!

1. Cat

All you need for this costume is an all-black outfit and some drawn on whiskers using some eyeliner. If you even want to go the extra mile, you can buy some cat ears for a dollar or two.

2. Witch

You can instantly turn from a cat to a witch by swapping out the whiskers for a witch’s hat, available at most dollar stores. 

3. Nerd

Anyone can be a nerd by simply wearing a dress shirt and pants with some large eyeglasses. To add the finishing touch, sleek your hair back into a ponytail and pair with suspenders or a cardigan. 

4. Mime

For this costume, all you need is a black and white striped t-shirt or a black turtleneck and some black pants. For makeup, wear some intense eye line and top off the costume with a beret. 

5. Robber

Simply turn a mime into a robber by switching the beret to a black beanie and donning an eye mask. 

6. Athlete 

To be an athlete, just pull out your favourite jersey and put on some war paint to finish the look. 

7. Rosie the Riveter 

This costume only consists of a denim shirt, some blue jeans and a red bandana. 

8. Scarecrow

All you need for this costume is to pull out a plaid shirt and some overalls or blue jeans and draw on a stitched smile.

9. Jim Halpert Facebook Costume

You can easily recreate one of The Office’s most iconic costumes by wearing a dress shirt and pants with “book” written across your face. 

Happy Halloween everyone!

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.