The Psychology Behind Christmas Cheer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Everyone knows what time of year it is the second Halloween is over and trick-or-treaters return home. Costco releases their Christmas-themed plushies, and everyone starts to plan their trip for a photo shoot at the Distillery District Christmas Market. In other words, everyone frantically starts preparing their Christmas countdown because, as every cheesy holiday song says, it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

While my knowledge in psychology is limited to whatever I crammed in my freshmen university courses, I think we can all agree that for some unknown, universal reason, the atmosphere in December physically feels a little more magical, even despite the looming pile of final exams lurking around the corner! There’s just something about seeing the red and green colour schemes and twinkling lights that can put anyone in a good mood. I’ve always wondered why that was the case, and why seeing these physical items sparked enough joy to put Marie Kondo into a good mood?

Well, it turns out I wasn’t the only person dying to know the answer. In 2015, a researcher from Denmark decided to conduct functional MRI studies to test the theorized correlation between happiness and the holidays. He separated participants into two groups, and the front portion of the brain of the participants that celebrated Christmas literally lit up like a Christmas tree when they were shown images relating to Christmas and all things merry.

Researchers from the American Psychological Association have even sat down together to discuss a lot of possible reasons for such a response from this stimulus. It may be due to the fact that these decorations and images remind people of their childhood and seeing these physical items relieve those old memories. Nostalgia is known to be positively correlated with high self-esteem and has many psychological benefits, such as helping people maintain a sense of continuity and acting as a reminder for remembering the richness of life.

In addition to that, how we see ourselves in relation to other people directly impacts our own sense of self. Holiday nostalgia is known for improving that social connectedness factor because it’s a time that emphasizes bonding with family and friends as it can make people feel a little less lonely. It’s such a strong emotion, that even people as young as five or six years old can start to feel nostalgic!

A lot of retail stores take advantage of these psychological reactions, which is why you’ll hear Michael Bublé on repeat from the speakers the second November comes around. What is their business strategy, you may ask? Businesses are recognizing that when people are in happier moods, they’re more inclined to let loose and make purchases. So, if you’re one of those people who will throw a tantrum in their minds whenever they hear those festive tunes months in advance, but ends up buying five holiday candles just because, you should know that it’s very intentional.

All in all, the joyful reactions that people have to all things holiday-related are scientifically backed up. Whether or not you are a die-hard Christmas fan, we can all agree that the meaning behind the holiday is pure and can put anyone in a good mood. The fact that there’s now scientific research to prove that these strong feelings associated with this holiday and the bonding it entails are genuine, it just makes Christmas seem even more special than usual. So, while this might be a month too early, I’m going to give into those nostalgic emotions and wish everyone a Merry Christmas in November!

Sources:

Experts say holiday cheer and the Christmas spirit are real — here’s the evidence

Evidence of a Christmas spirit network in the brain: functional MRI study

‘Tis the Season for Nostalgia: Holiday Reminiscing Can Have Psychological Benefits

Melissa Wang

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Melissa is a fourth year business student at Laurier with a huge passion for writing and sharing stories. In her spare time, you can find her running a 5km, taking a personality test for the tenth time, binging a novel when she really should be studying or deeply analyzing everyone around her.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!