Presidential Profile: Kanwar Brar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Kanwar Brar, a kind-hearted, extremely friendly and confident guy who is running to be your Students’ Union President in the upcoming 2017 Laurier election. Get to know him and what he stands for below!

Name: Kanwar Brar

Age: 22

Hometown: Brampton, ON

Year: 4

Program: Honours Political Science

One word that describes you: Compassionate

Quote to live by: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

– Martin Luther King Jr.

What have you been involved with here at Laurier over the last 4 years?

Over my four years, I was fortunate enough to have been involved in many initiatives and have gained a holistic experience.

First Year: LEAP, O-Week Participant, Food Bank (General Volunteer), First Year Project (Exec), Winter Carnival (Volunteer), Election Campaign Team, Hawk Weekend

Second Year: O-Week (GO Team), Winter Carnival (Exec), ERT (General Volunteer), U-Desk

Third Year: WLU Senator, O-Week (Shinerama), Board of Directors, Undergrad Political Science Representative, PRISMRESOURCES (Customer Service Representative and Business Development Analyst)

Fourth Year: Residence Life Don, Instructional Assistant for Intro Political Science, U-Desk

What is it like being a Residence Life Don?

Being a Don has been a really rewarding experience. I’m very grateful to have an amazing floor with the best students. Helping them transition into residence and university, supporting them in their needs, and spending quality time with my floor has been wonderful. Over the past four months, I’ve grown so much and learned a lot from my floor and about the importance of being a mentor. I look forward to what this term brings and making everlasting memories with every single one of my students.

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about engaging in conversations about political engagement and civic duty. I’ve always grown up as a politically inclined person and I love talking to people about the importance of voting, asking questions and being involved, as politics can be a force for positive change. More recently, I’ve had passionate conversations regarding the role of the Students’ Union and how it impacts the undergrad experience. In addition, I like spending time watching and playing basketball, spending time with friends, and trying new foods! I’m also an avid listener of hip-hop music and enjoy exploring new artists and songs. During my undergrad, I’ve gained an interest in travelling to new places with my friends. This stems from my passion to meet new people, learn about different cultures and again, try new foods! I’d like to dedicate a lot of time to travelling after my undergrad.

What does being a Golden Hawk mean to you?

Being a Golden Hawk means that we respect everyone and ensure everyone feels welcomed and included at Laurier.

What is one thing most people do not know about you?

I’m anaphylaxis allergic to mangos and papayas. It really catches people off-guard and their response usually is, “How can you not have mangos? They are SO good! I feel bad for you.” Yup.

How do you balance academics, a social life, and being involved on campus?

I like to prioritize what needs the most attention and complete my tasks accordingly. Using a visual calendar and a checklist keeps me organized and helps me balance academics, social life and being involved. I also pick my outfits (and matching turbans) before I go to bed, which alleviates decision making stress in the morning and I can focus on more important things. (Something I learned from President Obama as he picks his suits the night before).

If you could be compared to one leader, dead or alive, who would it be? Why?

My grandfather is a leader I look up to and have learned a lot from him. He was the first one in my family to attain a post-secondary education, got involved in politics and taught me the importance of always treating others with respect, regardless of where they are in life. He embodies characteristics of being logical, clear headed and resorting to rationale while being a great listener and respecting opinions of others, even if they may not align with his. My family came to Canada because of him and he supported us throughout the process, making sacrifices so we could be well off. Growing up and to this day, I learn so much from him and I am who I am because of my grandpa.

Why do you want to run for Students’ Union President?

I am running for Students’ Union President because I believe in listening to others and ensuring everyone feels included at Laurier. When I first came to Laurier, I thought I wouldn’t fit in because of everything I was and everything I wasn’t. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded my leaders who made me feel included and welcomed me with open arms. I want to be Students’ Union President because I want to ensure every single person attending Laurier feels welcomed, included and can succeed at what they want to do.

What is your political platform? What are some of the issues you feel are important to address to the student body?

My platform revolves around five pillars: Student Experience, Advocacy, Communication, Transparency and Representation. Each pillar is divided into three sub-categories of: Multi-Campus, Waterloo and Brantford. Some issues which are important to address to the student body are Housing and advocating for pre-occupancy rights for students in the case their buildings are not completed, providing qualitative programming with an emphasis on the First 40 Days, and importance of targeted and equitable programming and support for students.

If you are elected, what will be the first thing you do?

Hire my Vice-Presidents and establish common goals, vision and mission for the year, and the initiatives we want to work on together. I’d also like to start the conversation about exploring a mandatory Headstart program and the role the Students’ Union can play.

Voting starts January 24th till the 26th. Results will be January 26th at Wilf’s. Big thanks to this busy, yet stylish guy for taking the time to talk to us! Her Campus wishes you the best of luck #LaurierVotes!

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.