david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Perfect Halloween Movie Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

So maybe you’re not the type who likes going out for Halloween and would prefer a Halloween GNI (Girls Night In) instead. Well, why not call up your closest friends and have a Halloween movie marathon complete with Pillsbury pumpkin cookies. Here is a list of the Top 15 classic Halloween-themed movies to get you in the spirit of the night!

1. Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown is one of the greatest Disney channel movies that must be watched religiously every October. It will get you into the Halloween spirit as Marnie introduces us to a world full of Halloween creatures and friendly monsters.

2. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

Who doesn’t love this famous group?

3. Casper (1995) and Casper Meets Wendy (1998)

Casper the friendly ghost is a timeless movie series, especially Casper Meets Wendy which stars everyone’s favourite gal growing up, Hilary Duff.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Tim Burton’s odd style is perfect for the right amount of creepy and cute in this movie about Jack Skeleton, the Pumpkin King, finding the door to the other holiday worlds. Plus, the opening song is way too catchy!

5. Hocus Pocus (1993)

No Halloween marathon would be complete without this great movie involving witches, magic, potions, and spells. This all-time favourite Halloween movie, starring Sarah Jessica Parker, should no doubt be at the top of the list!

6. Van Helsing (2004)

This action-packed movie is about a monster hunter who is sent to Transylvania to stop the evil plans of Count Dracula. It also includes other famous monsters such as Frankenstein, a werewolf, Dr. Jekyll, and Mr. Hyde to help set the tone for the night.

7. Beetlejuice (1988)

All I want to say is… BEETLEJUICE, BEETLEJUICE, BEETLEJUICE.

8. Frankenstein (1931/1994/2015)

In creating the perfect Halloween movie marathon, you HAVE to include the old classic monster movies. Whether it’s the black and white version or the more recent one, Frankenstein is a must-have monster at your movie marathon party.

9. Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)

What would the night be without some vampires? And I’m not talking about the ones that sparkle in the sun.

10. Halloween (1978)

What would a Halloween movie marathon be without a couple scary movies too? Halloween is the ultimate scary movie, perfect for the occasion. Fair warning: it may cause an excessive amount of shrieks and screams, so bring the blankets to hide under; don’t be ashamed – we’ve all done it.

11. Trick r’ Treat (2007)

A great Halloween movie to end your night with ghosts, goblins, monsters, and many more holiday traditions. Just remember not to blow out your Jack-o-Lantern before midnight.

So grab the popcorn or another favourite Halloween-themed snack, turn the lights off, and get ready for a long night of laughs, screams, shrieks, ghosts, and other Halloween monsters with your best gal pals!

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem