This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The shop themodules on Etsy offers beautifully crafted pieces with a range of designs, prices and colours to ensure there’s something for all. I held an exclusive interview with the shop owner, Radka, to let you in on all the present and future details of the new shop! All answers are quotes from Radka.

Is there a meaning behind the name of your brand?

Yes! I get asked about the name of my shop often. First of all, it sounds cool, don’t you think? But, also, to me “The Modules” represents pieces of a puzzle; a puzzle that is independent and beautiful on its own but even better when combined with other pieces. Anyway, I am on module 1 right now, maybe I will make sculptures or furniture for module 2!

How would you describe your shop?

Full of surprises. Stay tuned for module 2!

What do you sell and what material do you work with?

At the moment, I sell crochet bags and purses of all sizes, such as big tote bags, small crossbody bags and even little pencil cases/cosmetic bags. My favourite material to use is cotton yarn because it is very durable and wears well over time. Also, the fibres on cotton yarns are so coarse that they show details on the items well. Unfortunately, colourful cotton yarn is hard to find for some reason, so whenever I find some, I go nuts and buy as many different colours as I can carry!

What’s been your favourite piece to make?

Right now, I am loving making big tote bags because they fit so many items! When I am going out, I love to chuck my laptop, balls of yarn, crochet kit, water bottles and snacks in my totes. They fit all my necessities! My tote bags are also very durable because I line the bags with strong materials on the inside. The straps are super durable too, so rest assured that they will last a long time. More specifically, my all-time-favourite tote bag that I have made so far is my red heart tote bag. It is made with cotton, it feels so soft and it has a dark red velvet liner that makes it feel super luxurious. Although, when I ask my friends and family, everyone loves my sunflower crochet tote, so that one is a crowd favourite!

Is there anything you’re looking to introduce to your shop?

Yes! Currently, I am working on a variety of new bag designs, but more specifically I am experimenting with new materials! I have had a good run with cotton and acrylic yarn, but I would like to experiment with other fun materials like silk or alpaca yarn! But, you know, ever since opening my shop, I am constantly daydreaming about new possibilities, items and designs. While I do enjoy crocheting, I would love to explore new mediums and introduce clothing and other fun accessories. I am interested in designing contemporary clothing for everyday wear, and hopefully mixing in some fun avant-garde designs on the outfits while I am at it! Who knows, like I said, The Modules is like a bunch of puzzle pieces! Ultimately, the sky is the limit, and this is what gets me so excited!

Do you have any social media?

Yes! I just made a TikTok account, @themodules, and I am so excited to start posting fun videos. Plus, TikTok is super trendy right now, so I think it is a great way for me to show off my nifty crochet items to more people, find inspiration and research the newest and hottest things out there! I also have an Etsy shop, @themodules, so come stop by some time; I am open 24/7! I am looking to get my hands on some more social media, but my shop is still new and I have not gotten around to creating more accounts just yet. However, my email is themodules.shop@gmail.com if anyone has any questions, orders or wants to have a chat!

What do you do outside of making beautiful pieces?

I am a student at dental school in Australia and I work as a dental assistant too! I live in Melbourne, and when I am not in school, I love to explore the city, beaches and coffee shops (the coffee shops in Australia are the best). Also, when I am not making new pieces, I love to manage my shop and browse Etsy.

What made you start up your business?

I am sure lots of people can relate to this, but COVID honestly had me feeling a little unproductive and very bored! So, I figured I needed to find myself a tedious task to keep myself busy! I have always been a super creative person and a huge fan of anything art-related and, therefore, opportunities to express myself and my feelings through any artistic medium bring me so much joy! It started off by me finding some old knitting needles and attempting knitting. Knitting was great for a while, but it was a little bit too slow if I am being honest here. Eventually, I decided to hit up my local dollar store and I spotted some crochet needles and decided to give it a shot. Fast forward a few months and I was pumping out four new crochet goodies a week! There were purses, mittens, air-pods cases, coin purses, tote bags… lots of stuff! Eventually, I realized I had a surplus of crochet items and my living room was becoming cluttered with all my creations! And let’s be real here, what am I supposed to do with 20 bags?  That’s far too many! So, I figured, why not share this new passion of mine with the world and open up an Etsy shop? I might as well try to make a little extra money on the side, plus since I enjoy it so much, why not make creations for other folks to enjoy as well!

Radka’s shop can be found at themodules on Etsy! Her work is of high quality, and she puts a lot of time and effort into all her pieces! I personally have a pencil case from her and it’s definitely the highest quality case I own. The shop definitely deserves a 10/10 rating and a visit from you!

Nadica Terzieva

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Nadica is a fourth year sociology, English and French student with a passion for languages and the arts. She loves to travel and lives for live concerts. When she isn't downing French vanilla coffees, you can find her typing away at her laptop.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!