Oh, Pro-Tips for the Places You’ll Go at Laurier!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’m currently in my third year at Laurier, so I like to think I’ve picked up some valuable tips over the years. Here are a few totally random tips in absolutely no particular order.

1. Take the stairs by the concourse instead of Fred Nichols (to the right of those stairs outside). Those stairs are steep. Seriously, save your legs and lungs the trouble and take the detour through the concourse.

2. Brownies at the Second Cup in the library are the best. I love getting these as an occasional study reward (or study encouragement). Either way, they are delicious.

3. Find out the specials at your fave places. Everyone loves Ethel’s Taco Tuesdays, but my personal favourite is Symposium two-for-one cake slices on Sundays.

4. Floors six and seven of the library aren’t as scary as you think. Yes, it seems like everyone on Spotted gets mad if you exhale the wrong way, but, in reality, it isn’t that bad. Plus, it’s a great place to get down to some serious work.

5. You can book out study rooms in the library. I didn’t find out about this until the end of second year! It’s a lifesaver for groupwork, but book in advance, especially around midterms/finals season.

6. You’ll start to figure out what time classes start and end. Try to get your Starbucks, Subway and other snacks before that time to save yourself from long line ups. If you ever find Tim Horton’s in the science building with no line, buy a lottery ticket. That’s impossible.

7. Take the risk and apply to things, whether it’s a club, scholarship, icebreaking or a job. You never know until you try, and there’s no chance of getting a “yes” if you don’t put yourself out there.

8. Dance and group ex are both so much fun and you can make tons of friends! I didn’t find out about these until second year, but since then they have become some of my favourite things to do outside of class.9. Try to eat at home or bring food to campus. I’m really bad for this (no favour to my bank account). A serving of pasta at Union Market is $7.00, versus a whole box of it for two or $3.00 at the grocery store. Sometimes convenience beats cost, but just a suggestion!

10. You can ask any possible question on @spottedatlaurier. They have 23.4 thousand followers, many of them current and past Laurier students or even profs, so the odds that someone will know the answer are pretty high.

11. MELS IS OPEN 24/7 FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. Enough said.

12. Uptown Waterloo is a lot closer than you think — go explore! Especially if you are in first year, it’s important to get off campus and get to know the area. Try out a café, restaurant or even just go for a walk. You might find your new favourite place!

13. Everyone will let you see their dog if you ask. However, we have a lot of training pups here, so be sure to check with the owner! Also, Delton Glebe Counselling has therapy dogs at the Seminary every Wednesday from 12:00 to 1:00.

14. Bring a tea, hot chocolate or coffee to class! For some weird reason, I often feel more confident talking in class when I have some sort of drink; maybe it’s just me or maybe it’s the caffeine boost, but either way it’s tasty!

15. Join or like any Laurier Facebook page you come across! You’ll see a ton of cool events so you’re bound to be interested in at least one of them.

16. Pre-order your textbooks online and wait at the window outside the bookstore. The line might be long, but it will be SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than buying in store, considering there’s a line to even get inside.

These are just some things I’ve picked up over my almost three years so far here at Laurier. I’ll be back if I think of any others!

Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.