The Non-Skiing Collegiette’s Guide to SnowJam (and other ski trips)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

So you don’t know how to ski or snowboard, but most of your friends do and they couldn’t be more stoked about a weekend getaway to do such winter activities? Have no fear, because your lack of love for the slopes does not mean you can’t go, or that you won’t have a good time.

Enjoy these tips that I wish I had been aware of before I went on this trip last year – they may or may not be influenced by personal experience…

1.     Have a Fellow Non-Skiing Buddy

This is probably the most crucial – unless you love travelling alone – having someone to embark in non-skiing/snowboarding-related activities is a must

2.     Do your LCBO Run Ahead of Time

The SAQ in tourist locations can be slightly pricier, plus the selection may be limited. This also adds a convenience factor that will save you time once you arrive to your destination.

3.    Bring magazines, books, iPads, etc. for the lengthy bus ride

The bus ride can take up to 10 hours depending on where you’re going, and providing yourself with activities will help pass the time. As long as you don’t get car-sick easily, catching up on some reading, or even attempting to study can be good options. However, don’t bank on a ride silent enough to do any heavy reading (especially on the way there).

4.     Buy snacks and drinks for the lengthy bus ride

Hopefully you’ll get a few stops to stretch your legs, or grab some food but it doesn’t hurt to have some in a carry-on bag.

5.     Make a Playlist Ahead of Time

This is most crucial for the time you spend in your room getting ready or pregaming. Don’t let a lack of wifi or cell phone data ruin your night. Save a playlist on iTunes or Spotify Premium – any app that you can access without internet connection just in case.

6.     Avoid Overpacking by Planning Outfits Ahead of Time

I’m sure many of you have been face-to-face with an overstuffed suitcase, bursting with frustration as you tell your friends you have “nothing to wear”. With events like SnowJam that have predetermined themes, planning and packing a specific outfit rather than hypothetical pieces can save you time and suitcase space. CRUCIAL: try on each outfit before deciding on it and packing it. There’s nothing worse than realizing how that skirt and crop top don’t match the way you envisioned them to in your head, or how flat that skirt would make your butt look. Don’t forget sunglasses – that snow is bright!

7.     Leave the Heels at Home

This is a ski-trip weekend, and overall much less casual of a getaway than most. You don’t need heels, or any other kind of uncomfortable shoes. Pack a few pairs of versatile boots (or shoes that go well with high socks).

8.     Stay Hydrated

The weekend can take a lot out of you, and so can all the alcohol you’re consuming. Minimize headaches, lethargy, and that overall gross feeling by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Stocking up on gatorade and/or vitamin water beforehand can’t hurt either.

9.     Don’t Forget to Eat

Just like tip #8, it might sound obvious, but trust me – you’d be surprised by how easy the hours can go by. All of a sudden it’s 6 o’clock, and while you’ve chilled in the hot tub, gone for some tobogganing, had a quick nap, and had a few drinks, you’ve forgotten to eat a proper meal. Your body will appreciate you being as good to it as you can be during this whirlwind of a weekend.

10. Pace Yourself

You don’t have to drink every drink that is offered to you. If any of your peers tell you to chill, it’s probably a good idea to mix in a water. 

11. Take Pictures

While this shouldn’t be the prime focus of your trip, you did spend (at least) a few hundred dollars on getaway with some people you care about. You’ll be glad you did, years from now.

12. Don’t Bring Your Phone to the Hot Tub

Self-explanatory – getting a fire insta pic isn’t worth ruining that new iPhone 6.

13. Keep Makeup & Hair Routines Simple

I repeat: this is not a glam weekend. It is a very short, jam-packed trip so don’t waste time on long beauty routines. Keep it simple.

14. Set an Alarm

Try to avoid sleeping in too late or taking naps that are too long. Your body does need rest, but don’t waste the days away because there is so much beauty outside of your hotel room.

15. Find out what activities are available in the area

Whether it’s from a SnowJam Rep, or the front desk of your hotel, skating, tubing, and tobogganing are just some of the fun activities that are probably available to you that you haven’t done in years.

16. Reunite with your skiing and snowboarding friends at Apres Ski

If they’re not completely exhausted from their day, you might be able to catch up with them at Apres Ski. Just because you didn’t do the skiing, doesn’t mean you can’t go.

Follow @HerCampusWLU on snapchat for live footage from SnowJam this Thursday-Sunday!

Erin's top two pastimes would definitely have to be binge-watching tv shows, and binge-eating spicy salmon maki rolls. While both may sound incredibly basic, they bring her ultimate happiness.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem