No, I Don’t Wanna Dance With Somebody

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

PSA for all boys: a girl’s night out means A GIRL’S NIGHT OUT.

Ladies, you know what I’m talking about. You’re all excited to go out and tear up the dance floor with your girl squad, and even more excited for the pizza you’re going to order when you’re home from the bar. 

I can’t even count the number of times my roommates and I have gone to a bar, and I just want to dance with my girls… but boys won’t let that happen. I’ve tried to reject them with a nice, “No thank you,” but it never ends up going well. I’ve been greeted with responses such as, “You’re not that hot anyways,” and, “I didn’t want to dance with you anyways, four-eyes.” So I decided to take other approaches, instead of just saying “No” (which is really sad, and unfortunate that people don’t understand “No,” but I’ll save that rant for a rainy day). Here is a list of things my roommates and I have actually done to get out dancing with someone.

1. The simple “No”

Try out the “No thank you, I’m with my girls tonight.” We all know this only works maybe 20% of the time, but it should be the first thing you try. Keep reading if you find that you need more tips and tricks.

2. “I’m ready for you to meet my parents”

If things are getting really weird, just whisper in his ear, “I’m ready for you to meet my parents.” There’s a good chance he’ll walk away. 

3. Bust your worst move

I’ve tried this and it works. Bust out some ~fReAkY~ dance moves, and hope he walks away. 

4. Signals with friends 

Create signals with your friend before going to the bar, so that if they see you doing them when someone asks you to dance, they’ll swoop in and save you (hopefully).

5. The elbow

Start dancing with your elbows out, like the chicken dance, but just the elbow part. I’m declaring this the new universal dance signal for “Don’t come near me.” 

6. The boyfriend

When my roommates and I go out, my boyfriend is the “communal boyfriend.” It sounds like Sister Wives, but it works. If a guy won’t give up, they just point to my boyfriend and say, “That’s my boyfriend.” If my boyfriend’s not around, they’ll find the tallest guy they can spot and say, “That’s my boyfriend.”

7. “My mom’s actually just over there”

This one usually works at Dallas; there are MILFs everywhere. If you’re at any bar, and you see an older woman, try telling the boy that your mom’s standing over there watching, so he shouldn’t try anything frisky. 

8. Leave room for the Holy Spirit

This one’s for all of you who attended Catholic schools growing up. Every slow dance, teachers would walk around and assure that there was enough room between you and your partner for the Holy Spirit. Explain this to a guy when he gets just a little too close.

9. The twirl

Ask a boy to twirl you, and just keep twirling away from him, until he’s out of sight. 

10. Jenna Marble’s face

I’ve done the Jenna Marble’s face, and I’m telling you it works. Boys usually end up confused, or become uninterested, and walk away. But if all else fails, and it doesn’t work, stand completely still until they walk away.

These might not always work, so sometimes all you can do is walk away. Remember to never be rude, and don’t let rude boys ruin your night! Stay golden, collegiettes!

I'm a lover of all things pop culture. By pop culture, I mean McDonald's and rap music. Also dogs. I love dogs.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem