Style > Beauty

New Year, New You: Trying New Fashion and Beauty Trends to Ring in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s a brand new year, which means it’s a great excuse to tweak your current fashion and beauty regime to get a head start on the latest trends of 2017! 

Say goodbye to the once-popular harsh contour and say hello to the strobing technique.  Some of you may have seen Kim K’s make-up artist, Mario Dedivanovic, demonstrate the look a few months ago, but this make-up trend will be all the rage in 2017.

Strobing consists of using highlighter only on the points of your face that catch the light, such as your brow bones, cupid’s bow, bridge of your nose and high points of your cheek bones. This creates a softly-lit, illuminated face.

There is also a new make-up tool that is supposed to rival the beauty blender?!  If you told me such a product existed a few weeks ago I would have never believed it.  Be prepared to be amazed and meet make-up’s newest little miracle worker, the silicone sponge.

The silicone sponge is said to waste little to no product during its’ application process since its design doesn’t allow it to absorb make-up the same way a beauty blender or brush would. 

It may look a little weird but it’s a new year, so why not revamp your make-up routine and give the future of make-up application a go?

The high pony is a sleek, sexy look that is guaranteed to be an “It” hairstyle in 2017.  It may be Ariana Grande’s signature look, but fashion and beauty mags have seemed to kick this trend into high gear this year by pairing the hairstyle with different outfits and beauty designs to create a new cutting-edge look.

Recreating the look is simple. If you’re one of the lucky ones blessed with long hair, all you have to do is slick your hair back into a high ponytail! Use anti-frizz cream or gel to keep your baby hairs in place, and for a touch of added glam, wrap a piece of hair around the base of the pony to create a more uniform look.  If your hair length is on the shorter side, just grab some hair extensions to easily achieve the same look!

Thanks to a recent airing of the Golden Globes, it is safe to say metallics are making waves in the fashion world.  Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone with this one, and add a few metallic pieces into your wardrobe to celebrate this fun trend.

Whether it’s starting off small by pairing a metallic choker with a white tee and denim jeans, or going all out and rocking the night away in a metallic dress, go for whatever fits your personal style!  You can find great metallic pieces at stores like Forever 21 for great prices, but one thing’s for sure- you’ll definitely be a head turner in your new metallic gear. 

Corsets are now the new belts of 2017.  Don’t believe me?  Ask a celeb like Kylie Jenner, who likes to pair her corset with an oversized tee and over-the-knee boots.  This is a new and innovative fashion trend for the new year since it takes a piece that would normally be hidden under clothing and, instead, uses it in an innovative way to create dimension and amplify an outfit. So, next time you decide to leave the house in a loose t-shirt or dress, throw on a corset for added shape and style points. It’ll take that outfit from a 6 to a 10 real quick!

2017 is also the year of the oversized shades. They’re going to be your new go-to accessory to complete any outfit this year. 

I made the decision to invest in a new pair of oversized aviators, and I haven’t taken them off ever since.  You can find your perfect pair at any sunglass boutique or select store, just make sure they suit your face shape! Cat-eye and round frames are best suited for heart and square shaped faces. For oval faces aviators and wayfarers work best, and squared-off frames pair well with round faces!

BTW don’t be afraid to rock your shades in the winter too- sunglasses protect your eyes from harmful UV rays and you’ll look extra glam rocking your parka with a pair!

There you have it!  Now get started on your New Years fashion and beauty resolutions by trying one, or all, of these 2017 trends. Remember, if you don’t start now, there’s a 365-day wait period until the next “New Year, New You!” 

Wilfrid Laurier Student who loves anything and everything related to fashion, beauty and lifestyle. Constantly living life though the wise words of fashion icon Coco Chanel, who preaches, "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.