photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

New Album Releases to Get Excited for This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As 2019 draws to a close, the closer we get to finally hearing some of the most anticipated albums from our favorite artists. There’s still a number of albums that are being released between November and December, and the first quarter of 2020. Below, I’ve compiled a list of upcoming album releases that I’m most excited to finally listen to this winter.

Coldplay: Everyday Life

Coldplay are veterans of the alternative rock scene. It’s been four years since the last Coldplay album so we’re definitely looking forward to the new album they’re releasing on November 22. The band has already released three singles which will appear on Everyday Life, if you’re interested in getting a sneak peek of the new album. Compared to previous discography, this album incorporates a broader range of genres, seen in “Arabesque” with Afro-beat inspired instrumentals, without straying away from their original sound, such as in the single “Orphans.”

Harry Styles: Fine Line

I really enjoyed his first solo album released in 2017, so I am highly anticipating Harry’s new album being released on December 13th. So far, only one single has been released; “Lights Up” includes melodic pop instrumentals, a change from his previous work which featured soft rock and Britpop influences. I am excited to see the direction of this new album which Styles himself has described as “all about sex and feeling sad.”

Tame Impala: The Slow Rush

The upcoming fourth studio album from the Australian psychedelic rock project has got to be the most anticipated album in the indie-rock world at the moment – especially given the five-year gap since the most recent Tame Impala album, Currents, was released. Two singles from the new album have been released; “Borderline” and “It Might Be Time” with synth and pop sounds similar to his previous album, transitioning from his traditional psychedelic guitar sound. We’re fortunate that we now know the release date for this album as it has been debated for some time; Kevin Parker has now confirmed the release date to be February 14th, 2020.

Migos: Culture III

For those who love rap, you’re in for a great 2020, because Migos has announced that they’ll be releasing their follow up in the Culture album series. The album is scheduled to be released in the first quarter of 2020; the trio specified that it would be released soon after Offset’s solo album which is most likely to be out by January. Not much information has been released about this new album so keep your eyes peeled for news in the coming months.

The Weeknd: Chapter VI

Arguably the most anticipated album in the R&B genre, the Weeknd has been delaying the release of his fourth studio album for quite some time which adds to the mystery of the album. We don’t know much about it at all except the name and the album art. Nothing about the tracklisting has been released so we can’t give much information about the new album other than the fact that it will be out sometime next year. There are a lot of albums being released late 2019 and early 2020; we’ve only listed a few of the most anticipated ones but there are so many coming out that we recommend you guys keep your eyes peeled for the most up-to-date information on your favourite artists. Happy listening!

Cici Wei

Wilfrid Laurier '20

A 4th year Political Science and Management Option Student at WLU.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.