This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Figuring out what you want to do with the rest of your life is horrifying. If you’re one of the lucky ones who has always known exactly what you want to do after you finish school and have never wavered from that, I’m very jealous of you. The reality is that a lot of us struggle to figure out exactly what we want to do and even when we think we have it figured out, we don’t. Getting towards the end of your time in post-secondary can be really daunting and it’s hard to figure out how you’re going to navigate life after graduation. The pressure to have your entire life planned out post-graduation can be overwhelming. The struggle of figuring out your path after university is a universal experience, and it’s okay to feel a bit lost during this transition. So here are a few important reminders for all my fellow students who are feeling the pressure of life after school.

Embrace the uncertainty

First and foremost, it’s important to acknowledge that feeling lost after graduation is completely normal. It’s important to embrace this uncertainty and know that this is just another time for self-discovery and growth. It’s okay to not have all the answers right now. Life is a journey and this phase is just one step along the way.

Reflect on your passions

Take a step back and think about what truly excites and interests you. Consider the passions, hobbies, and subjects that got you excited during university. Your genuine interests can give you clues about potential career paths that you’d enjoy. Give yourself time to explore your passions and how they can align with various career paths.

Stay openminded

Be open to exploring unconventional paths or industries you hadn’t thought about before. The job market is diverse and there are countless roles that may align with your skills and passions in unexpected ways. Keep an open mind, go to job fairs and explore internships in various fields to broaden your horizons.

Remember it’s not forever

A lot of us have the idea that once you pick a job, you’re going to stay in that industry until you retire and it’s important to remember that it doesn’t have to be forever. It’s okay to change career paths at any point in time and do something else that you feel more passionate about. It’s also important to remember that you can go back to school at any point if you feel that that’s what’s best for you and can improve your career opportunities. Even right after graduation you can decide to go back for your masters, bachelor of education, law school or whatever you want. There are so many possibilities in life and it’s important to remember that you’re in control of your life and you can change paths whenever you want.

Embrace rejection

Don’t be disheartened by setbacks, which I know is easier said than done, but each rejection is an opportunity to continue to learn and grow. It’s important to remember that these are not “failures”, it simply means that it wasn’t the right fit for you and there’s likely something better along the way. Each rejection brings you one step closer to the right opportunity.

Be patient with yourself

A lot of the time it can feel like everyone else has this whole life thing figured out and you’re struggling to figure out what to do next and where to go from here. I promise you though, you’re not alone. There’s a whole lot of people out there (including me) who have no clue what they’re doing. We’re all just trying to figure this whole life thing out. You’ll get there, don’t worry.

The build-up to graduation and the post-graduation period can be really challenging but it’s also a period filled with so much possibility. Embrace the uncertainty, trust the process and believe in your abilities. Remember that your journey is unique and comparing it to others will do you more harm than good. Stay true to yourself, keep learning and most importantly, have faith in your potential. It’s okay to not have everything all figured out right now, just know that everything will work out the way it’s supposed to.

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.