laptop with sims 4 on the screen
laptop with sims 4 on the screen
Rachel Durniok

My Top Five Comfort Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

For a period in my life, I was obsessed with video games. My obsession started by watching YouTube videos. The games that these YouTubers were playing piqued my interest and I wanted to give them a try. My brother and I first started by playing Minecraft and it was awesome. Every night after school, instead of doing my homework, you could find me playing Minecraft.

As I got older and had more responsibilities, I didn’t have as much time to play video games, but I still made an effort. When things get hard or I need a break, I turn to video games as my stress relief, and over the years I have come to figure out which video games help me destress the most. Here is a list of my favourite comfort video games.

Minecraft

Minecraft was the first game that I ever truly fell in love with. Whether it’s the interesting sounds or placing of each block, something about this game is stress-relieving. I love exploring the world, building different houses and pretending to be the mayor of my own city. This is my favourite game to play with my brother and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Stardew Valley

I started playing this game over the pandemic as a way to pass the time. It was something that my boyfriend introduced me to, and it quickly became a game that we played together. This game provides you with a farm that you must run, and you have to build relationships with the villagers in the town nearby. I really enjoy this game because of its simple pace and the ability to do what you want however you want, the options are endless.

Fortnite

Fortnite has a bad rep and I don’t understand why because I really love this game. Just before the pandemic began, my brother, boyfriend and I started playing the game and before we knew it we were playing it every night. Throughout the pandemic, we played the game every night and never missed a night. When I’m stressed, I love hopping into a “Team Rumble” and letting my stress fly away. The thing I really love about this game is that it’s constantly updated, and there is a new season every couple of months.

Growing Up

I recently discovered this new game and I love it so much. The game is similar to The Sims, but is limited to what you can and can’t do. In this game, you start as a toddler and make choices that impact decisions in your life up until you are an adult. This game is quick and has endless possibilities as each time you play you will meet different people. I use this game as a short break in between my school assignments or studying.

The Sims 4

This is my favourite game of all time. I was introduced to The Sims 4 by a close friend and have been in love with it since 2015. My whole personality revolves around The Sims and I get so excited when new content is released. I love the endless possibilities you have when making characters, gameplay or builds. I actually started a TikTok account and YouTube channel to post my Sims 4 builds and gameplay content. Whenever I am stressed, I just hop on and build or make a new character.

Video games have always been a big part of my life and always will be. Whether it’s The Sims 4 or a quick Minecraft build, this is my favourite way to relax, and I suggest trying these games if you have time. Who knows, these games might change your life.

Amanda Morrison

Wilfrid Laurier '24

4th-year Psychology and Sociology major with a minor in Criminology at Wilfrid Laurier University.