This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The early 2000’s brought us many movies, including some of the best teenage romantic comedies to this day. So, ditch The Kissing Booth and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before and join us with these classic films with (actually good) acting.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Before diving into the 2000’s, we must pay respect to those who came before us. 10 Things I Hate About You is a classic romantic comedy about a badass girl that no boy would ever date…until one does. A must-see in my books and forever a favourite.

2. Bring It On (2000)

The year 2000 brought us Bring It On, an irresistibly comedic and entertaining film.  Two cheerleading squads are rivals and with a new captain on the rise, one team has to make some tough decisions. A classic and, of course, the original is the best one!

3. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

I’ll admit these aren’t actually teenagers, but it’s too good to not include. 2003 brought us an iconic Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey mashup that we didn’t know we needed. This classic is filled with hilarious scenes and a cast that’s quite easy on the eyes. Despite a few cringe-worthy scenes, this movie is easy to watch and will have you falling for the two main characters!

4. A Cinderella Story (2004)

A Hillary Duff classic and no doubt the best version of this movie. This movie is one of the timeless 2004 movies and easily a favourite. With the typical evil stepmother and stepsisters, the main character Sam gets invited to the school dance… and I won’t spoil things from there.

5. 13 Going on 30 (2004)

Thank you 2004 for this one! Jennifer Garner’s 13 Going on 30 is a timeless and cinematic masterpiece. The story of a teenage girl wanting nothing but to be “thirty, flirty and thriving” comes true. Garner’s acting is simply incredible in this film and easily one of my favourite “feel-good” movies.

6. She’s the Man (2006)

Amanda Bynes. Need I say more? But really, after her school’s female soccer team gets cut, this movie displays a kickass female lead proving she can play with the boys. Bynes’ humour and energy in this movie are hilarious yet still so engaging, with a funny and charming plot. Also, a total boost for women in this one, even though she had to dress as a boy…

I don’t feel the need to mention the classics such as Mean Girls or Clueless because we’ve all seen those. Of course, there are many more teen rom-coms, but this list is a few of my favourites with better plots, acting and humour than today’s rom-coms… sorry, it had to be said.

Olivia Egan

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Third year Psychology student at WLU
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!