This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Taylor Swift is one of the most popular and successful artists of this generation and has solidified her talent by winning many awards throughout her career. What makes Taylor Swift such a good artist is how she communicates her artistic abilities through her brilliant lyricism. I LOVE her entire discography and finally chose my top 13 favourite songs by her; in no order, here they are…  

cardigan

After listening to this song for the first time, I instantly fell in love. The way Taylor metaphorically compares herself to a cardigan with such a clever meaning is my favourite aspect of this song. “cardigan” is about young love and how it stays in our memories. It also emphasizes the importance of not underestimating young people. As a result, “cardigan” is one of my all-time favourite Taylor Swift songs.

the last great american dynasty 

This is one of my favourite songs of all time. What makes “the last great american dynasty” a bold track to me is its storytelling. This song tells the story of Rebekah Harkness, who used to live in the home of Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift recites what Rebekah did while she lived there, giving listeners an insight into how she was as a person. I love the concept of this song as well as the production! Her storytelling shines here, which is why “the last great american dynasty” is one of my favourite songs by her.

Treacherous (Taylor’s Version)

“Treacherous (Taylor’s Version)” was the song I was most excited for in her re-recording of Red. What I enjoy the most about this song is how it makes me feel when I listen to it. This is the kind of tune I listen to while peeking my head through the sunroof of a car! “Treacherous (Taylor’s Version)” is about falling for someone and knowing it will end badly but allowing yourself to anyways. This concept is very relatable. I also think that the production of “Treacherous (Taylor’s Version)” is the best of Red (Taylor’s Version). That is why I love this song, and it is one of my favourites from her. 

Enchanted

I love the album Speak Now, and I love “Enchanted”. In this song, Taylor tells the story of the show where she falls in love at first sight and hopes that person feels the same way about her. I love this song because the storytelling is spot on, and the instrumentals in the background even bring in a hint of rock elements. While listening to this tune, I feel like a princess. I love this style of this music, solidifying why “Enchanted” is one of my top favourite tracks from her. 

right where you left me

evermore is a fantastic album, and in my opinion, her most mature body of work. “right where you left me” is my favourite song off this album. This is a folk tune; however, Taylor takes a twist on this song by adding country elements (you can hear her accent). Since Taylor has shied away from the country in her recent works (besides re-recorded music), she still has it in her. “right where you left me” shows the theme of abandonment and how it feels; you overall wonder how someone is doing and speculate on what they could be thinking. This is a relatable feeling and why it is in my top 13 list.  

my tears ricochet

As a track 5, “my tears ricochet” is one of the saddest Taylor Swift songs and I love it. “my tears ricochet” is a song that hits hard for me, and I overall spiritually understand it and the pain it brings. I know that pain is a negative feeling. This song, however, understands me. “my tears ricochet” is about karma and how it comes to those who have betrayed you. This theme is significant since betrayal is a universal experience, which is why it is one of my all-time favourite songs.

Style 

The most popular Taylor Swift album is 1989. It’s no doubt that this era was impossible to escape. One song that was especially hard to escape from was “Style” for all the right reasons. “Style” is a pop tune and a standout track from this album. This song is still popular to this day, which makes it timeless. In other words, this song “never goes out of style”. Many fans are looking forward to the re-recording and hoping Harry Styles appears on a possible remix. For now, I must wait for the re-recording and will go crazy when it comes out! This song is one of my favourites. 

Cruel Summer 

‘Cruel Summer” is a cruelly catchy tune, and, during the Lover era,I listened to this earworm non-stop. This song is incredible, and it had the potential to be a single and maybe the tune of the summer! “Cruel Summer” is a song about a new frighteningly exciting summer love. The

bridge is also captivating because the anticipation of the lyrics “he looks up grinning like a devil” is done in such a fun manner filled which lots of adrenaline! For these reasons, “Cruel Summer” has earned a slot among my top 13 Taylor Swift songs.

august 

When I first heard “august”, I instantly fell in love. This song is about a summer fling, and how the memory is still there even after the fling is over. Although it is sad, the tune does put me in a good mood, and not many sad songs can make me happy, but this one does. The imagery of secret hangouts behind the mall takes me right back to the salt aired summertime. Overall, “august” is one of my favourite songs from her discography. 

The Way I Loved You (Taylor’s Version) 

This song is about missing elements of a toxic relationship, despite being in a healthy relationship. Taylor sings about how her new lover perfectly caters to the expectations. Although she has what she wants, she feels that something is missing. Taylor sings about missing the “screaming and fighting and kissing in the rain” in her old relationship. This song is one of my favourites because it depicts how love can be tumultuous and drive people insane. I think that this song is relatable and highlights a universal feeling. Overall, one of my favourite Taylor Swift songs is “The Way I Loved You (Taylor’s Version).  

Last Kiss 

“Last Kiss” is one of the saddest Taylor Swift songs, and I LOVE IT. “Last Kiss” is about love suddenly ending and missing that person. This song also highlights how love can end at any second, even if you thought everything was going right. Although the love is over, Taylor states how she still loves this person from afar and watches as they grow through pictures and mutual friends. This song captivates the reality of how heartbreaking someone leaving you is. Love is an emotion that can change at any moment. In other words, love is scary because you never truly know how someone is feeling and “Last Kiss” highlights this narrative perfectly, which is why it is one of my favourites by Taylor. 

Death By A Thousand Cuts – Live From Paris 

I love the studio version of “Death By A Thousand Cuts”, but I love the “Live From Paris” version even more. I love the “Live From Paris” better because this version enhances how heart-wrenching the song is. The original version is very upbeat, “Live From Paris” is more emotional because of her acoustic vocals. “Death By A Thousand Cuts–Live From Pairs” is about trying to get through a heart-wrenching love. This is one of her most personal songs since she discusses how this person has affected and taken away from her: “my heart, my hips, my body, my love”. For these reasons, “Death By A Thousand Cuts–Live From Paris” is in my top 13 songs by Taylor Swift. 

Don’t Blame Me

“Don’t Blame Me” is about feeling very attracted and in love with someone and feeling NO shame about how it has control over you. This song is one of my favourites because of the message it conveys and the way it depicts the sensation of inexplicable connection to someone. Taylor also delivers one of her BEST vocal performances in a studio-recorded song. The high note she sings on “usin’ for the rest of my life” during the bridge is outstanding. The vibes this song radiates are also immaculate! Overall, “Don’t Blame Me” is one of my favourite songs by Taylor Swift. 

Overall, I LOVE Taylor Swift and her entire discography. It was hard to choose my top 13 favourite songs by her, but luckily did it! The songs listed above are my top picks, and I highly recommend you listen to these tracks! 

P.S Always remember to listen to “Taylor’s Version” when it’s available!

Sophia Guardado

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Sophia is an English Literature student at Wilfrid Laurier University. On her free time, you will catch her reading books, taking long nature walks or at the gym!