This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of the best things about Christmas is the holiday movies. There is one for everyone, even if you’re a fan of spooky movies.

I really enjoy scary movies, especially gory ones or thrillers. However, when I saw Krampus, it just rubbed me the wrong way. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the film. I actually thought it was a good watch. The storyline was clever and you never really knew what was going to happen. It kept you on your toes and definitely was spooky. For me, there was just something about it that just did not sit right with me.

At first, I didn’t really understand what it was. The film really pulled me into this dark fantasy world where I was waiting to see what would happen. The ending was also a plot twist. Despite all the parts I enjoyed, I couldn’t stop thinking about this film and how there was just something off about it. Then, I realized what it was. It was seeing Christmas portrayed in a negative light.

Christmas is known for being a happy season, the time of giving and helping others. It’s about family and friends getting together, and Christmas movies usually show that in a lighthearted and upbeat way. Krampus, however, shows Christmas in a more gruesome and negative light that makes it somewhat more realistic in a way. It still does its job of getting across the true message of the holidays but it’s way higher stakes than your average Hallmark movie.

Although this movie rubbed me the wrong way it definitely reminded me to not be a Grinch come Christmas. After all, Christmas only comes once a year. It can be hard and stressful but it’s time for family, even if they drive us crazy. Family is family and we have to be there for each other- if we don’t, Krampus will make sure of that.

Would I recommend this movie? I think so. My advice would be to maybe watch Santa Claus Is Coming To Town after.

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!