Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

My Ranking of the Harry Potter Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE the Harry Potter series. Although I love the books way more than the movies, here is my ranking of the films from worst to best! Spoilers Ahead!

8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

I hated this one. I know from reading the book that I should’ve been prepared for what was to come but Dobby straight-up died and I was not prepared to see that happen on film (RIP Dobby). Also, I didn’t like Ron in this movie at ALL. He really just left Harry and Hermione like that. The reason this one is last for me is because there’s no Hogwarts and there were no happy moments (aside from Harry and Hermione dancing). Also, it’s annoying AF when books get split into two parts for a movie because the first part usually sucks, and I really felt it with this one. Overall, the movie isn’t bad but compared to the rest of the series, it’s my least fav.

7. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

Okay, I know this is literally the first movie in the series, and it’s the introduction to the rest of the films, but I still found it a little boring compared to the rest. It’s not my go-to Potter film to watch but it’s not the worst (cough, cough, deathly hallows part one).

6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

This one is ranking low because Dumbledore died and Harry straight up sliced Draco with a spell he didn’t even know! Also, this movie is the last time we would see Hogwarts as a happy warm place and it makes me sad. It hurt my feelings to see Draco join the Death Eaters but also, what did we expect?

5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

This one is really good and is one of my personal faves, but I’m ranking it here because of what happened to poor Ginny.

4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

This one is definitely one of my faves too but the next three are my top picks! Umbridge is what makes me hate this movie but I’m happy with what happens to her at the end. However, this one isn’t in my top three because Sirius died.

3.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

This makes it to my top three because, duh, it’s the final film. It’s literally so good despite my boy Fred Weasley dying along with like half the cast, but Voldey was finally killed and so was Bellatrix (I hate her).

2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Cedric Diggory, that’s it.

1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

This one is my all-time favourite, and the book is too! It’s my fav comfort movie because of all the spooky Halloween vibes and it has all the good aspects of Hogwarts. I also like this one the most because it’s the last film before Voldemort comes back and we know it’s the last ounce of happiness Harry will have for a while. Also, honourable mention: Hermione punching Draco hehe.

Even if you’re a Potterhead or not, I think everyone has seen the movies and read the books (don’t come at me for spoilers!). That was my ranking of my fav book and movie series and why each one of them stands out to me!

Anikka Salandran

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Anikka Salandran is a 2nd-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University studying English (still deciding her double major and minor!) When she is not busy writing essays and reading books you can find her dipping chocolate strawberries for her business or binge-watching Netflix. Fun fact: She has a twin!
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!