My opinions on The Bachelor and why you should be watching it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Every Monday, my roommates and I like to sit and watch trainwreck reality TV and last week the new season of the OG trainwreck reality TV show The Bachelor took off with a bang. I know most people have probably at least heard of The Bachelor but if you have somehow managed to avoid the show, the premise is that there is one man and, in this season, 30 women, who are all vying for his attention and want to become his wife. They go on dates and adventures but as anyone can imagine, 30 women in one house are all trying to get the attention of one man… The show is basically an hour a week of drama and crying. In summary, it’s fantastic.

I promise I won’t reveal who stays and who gets eliminated but rather this article is going to go through all the drama that went down and hopefully convince you to make this season of the show your new guilty pleasure. The bachelor in this scene is Zach Shallcross, one of the runners-up from Rachel and Gabby’s season of The Bachelorette. He caused a lot of drama with his exit from The Bachelorette which raises my hopes that his season is going to be full of even more drama. It started out strong with the women’s introductions. To make Zach remember them and hopefully win his first impression rose, the women go hard in this first introduction, and I am here for it. From rolling up in a party bus, giving him coffee they claim came from New York City, making him take a shot of maple syrup and my personal favourite, bringing a pig named Henry with them on a leash, the introductions were insane. As the show continued, it just kept getting more insane.

Typically, on The Bachelor, there are 25 women competing but in this season, there are 30 which is a lot of women for one man. The drama throughout most of the episode surrounds a lot of women not getting the chance to talk to the man they have all decided they are in love with despite not knowing him. And Zach seems to be making this drama worse by kissing basically every woman he speaks to while all the others watch. Just when we think all this kissing is going to be the craziest thing in the show, in walks Madison, the real star of the episode. She starts off tame, teaching Zach what the word oofta means but then when she doesn’t get the kiss that he seems to be handing out to every female contestant in the vicinity, Madison goes a little crazy. She seeks out Zach to try and speak with him a second time, which is a big The Bachelor no-no, and despite having this rare second conversation, she blows it by making Zach do an awful version of the Griddy dance followed by her kissing him for a cringy two seconds. You may think that’s it, but no. Madison goes on into a crying fit, asking a whole bunch of random women who are also all competing for Zach how she can get Zach and proclaiming on TV that she gave up everything for this. As the rose ceremony approaches and Zach is getting prepared to say who will stay and who will go, Madison interrupts him again and when he says he isn’t interested in her, her meltdown goes even further into a spiral of self-doubt and self-empowerment. The whole thing is so awful that I just couldn’t stop watching.

This whole show is basically a massive trainwreck full of crying and drama but the whole thing is just so addicting. It’s even better if you grab a glass of wine and sit down to watch it and scream over the drama with your friends. While you don’t necessarily need to watch it live on TV, the experience of having a The Bachelor night is one I so recommend, and I hope anyone who is looking for a little entertainment in the form of trash TV seriously considers watching.

Allie Lancaster

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Allie is a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University double majoring in Psychology and English. She loves being outside and is a huge fan of hiking, boating and skiing. Some of her other passions include reading, drawing, travelling and her puppy.