To My Little Sister: Things an Older Sister Wants Her Younger Sister to Know and Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Having a younger sister comes with its pros and cons. Fighting is definitely a normal occurrence, and usually has some yelling involved, but there are some perks. My younger sister is my best friend, and I could not have asked for anyone better to be my forced bff. You may have your ups and downs with your sister, but the good times are ones you will never forget. Besides, you don’t have a choice but to like them! Here are a few things older sisters may want their younger sisters to know, because we don’t always get a chance to say it.

I Will ALWAYS Have Your Back

Through thick and thin, no matter how much you may have managed to piss me off, I’m always going to have your back. Whether you got into a fight with your friends, or mom and dad are ripping into you about something, I will always be by your side. I’ll be there to help you write paragraphs back to your friends about your stupid drama, and I’ll be there to tell mom she needs to relax. No matter what it is, we’re in it together.

If You’re Nice, I’ll Share My Clothes

Sharing clothes is a two-way street. If you’re nice, and I’m in a good mood, you can take whatever you want! If you’re being mean, and didn’t let me borrow something 3 months ago, it’s not even a question worth asking! Good try though!

Relationships Can Suck

Relationships don’t always run so smoothly, and you’re going to have your ups and your downs. Whether you’re really happy and want to tell me about it, or need someone to take you for ice cream when things aren’t going so great, I’ll always be the one to make sure you know that you can do better, and that you will do better.

I Don’t Always Mean What I Say When We Fight

We all say things when we fight, especially when it’s family. If I say something really mean or something to hurt you, just know I’m sorry. I NEVER actually mean the things I say when they’re hurtful, I’m just mad in the moment, and I expect us to be best friends again within 5 minutes. We’ll have our ups and downs, but our downs will never be for too long.

I’m So Lucky (And So Are You)

You are SO lucky to have an older sister. Someone to show you the ropes, (hopefully) give you their ID to use, and to drive you EVERYWHERE until you can do it yourself. As lucky as you are, I’m lucky too. I have my own built in best friend, and someone to run all my errands with. I have my personal photographer at all family events and occasions, and someone to hang out with ALL the time in the comfort of my own home. We’re both lucky to call each other our best friends, and fortunately, nothing can ever tear us apart.

To my little sister. Thank you. Thank you for being my rock through it all. Thank you for always being honest when I ask if I look ok because no one else will. Thank you for entertaining me through boring family events. Thank you for being my best friend no matter how bad I may have messed up. Thank you for fighting with me over clothes, and over sitting shot gun. Thank you for having the ability to make me laugh until I can’t breathe, but also having the ability to make me so upset that I swear I will never speak to you again. Thank you for being you.

If you love your little sister, make sure you let her know. After all, you’re sisters by blood, but friends by choice, and your sister can be one of the best friends you’ll ever find.

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.