This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Nobody enjoys crying (or at least I don’t think so) but every now and then we all need to let it out. So how do you go about getting a good cry in without bringing yourself down? I like to channel this tearful energy into a heartwarming movie…aka the Happy Cry. Have you ever watched a movie that just makes you feel so warm and mushy inside that you start to tear up? If not, I have compiled a list of my go-tos:

McFarland, USA

This is one of my all-time favourite movies and never fails to bring me to tears, no matter how many times I watch it. The movie is about a small town in California home to a large population of Mexican Americans. The story follows a group of boys who couldn’t imagine making it out of their town and the cycle of poverty and crime that encompassed it. When a new coach comes to their high school, he sees that there is so much more to them than this and he takes a chance on them. By getting the boys to reluctantly join the school cross-country team, their coach is able to foster a sense of community and pride within them. This is the ultimate underdog story and is guaranteed to warm your heart. If you have ever felt that you aren’t good enough for something and then proved yourself wrong, this movie will for sure bring you to happy tears.

The Breakfast Club

This one is a classic, telling the story of a bunch of misfits in Saturday morning detention. The unlikely group becomes friends despite their differences and realize that it doesn’t matter which clubs or teams you belong to, as long as you are a good person. If you were an outcast in high school (or honestly, even if you just went to high school) this movie will remind you of how tough it is to be a teenager. The Breakfast Club has quite possibly the best movie ending ever; it strikes up strong feelings of nostalgia that you can’t help but get in your feelings. By the time Bender is walking across the field to “Don’t You Forget About Me,” you will be crying tears of happiness (either because of the movie or maybe you’re just happy you aren’t in high school anymore).

Wonder

This movie is a roller coaster of emotions from start to finish, making you sob uncontrollably, laugh hysterically and smile from ear to ear. Wonder is about a boy with a facial deformity who, on his first day of school, quickly realizes that kids are mean. Despite this, he perseveres and discovers that he loves school. His kindness and courage eventually shine through and he makes a great group of friends who love him regardless of what he looks like. While there will definitely be sad tears while watching this movie, Auggie’s strength and resilience is so powerful that by the final credits your tear-stained cheeks will be smiling.

Dead Poets Society

As an English major and a huge book nerd, this film has a special place in my heart. This movie is inspiring from the moment it begins and is powerful all the way through to the final scene. The story follows a group of boys at prep school who discover that their new English teacher used to run a secret club. Through the reimagining of this club, the boys learn about life, love, heartbreak and death. The film is thought-provoking and will resonate with all viewers. The main theme of the movie is to seize the day and not let any chances blow past you. Once you watch this film, you will never be able to hear the words “Oh Captain, my Captain” the same again. *instant tears*

Whether you need a good cry or not, these are all amazing movies that deserve a watch. Maybe I am just a sucker for a feel-good movie or maybe these movies were designed to evoke tears of happiness. Either way, I highly recommend you let your guard down, make some popcorn and cuddle up to watch one of these this weekend.

Emma Soden

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Emma is a 4th year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University with minors in Global Studies and Criminology. She is passionate about reading, writing and fitness. She hopes to pursue a career in journalism with a focus on sports.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!