This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The time has finally arrived. The holiday season is upon us, and I couldn’t be happier. Many individuals establish traditions that they perform year after year during the holidays.s. Whether you are in need of a new tradition or love learning about others, here are some of my favourite holiday traditions.

The Big Bang Theory marathon

One of my favourite traditions is watching the annual The Big Bang Theory marathon. Every year, the comedy channel broadcasts a marathon of every episode of The Big Bang Theory. My family and I love the show, and every year you can find the marathon running on almost every TV in the house. I don’t mean to brag, but I may or may not be the champion of The Big Bang Theory trivia within my household.

Christmas parade

There have only been a few times in my life that I have missed my community’s Christmas parade. Every year, on the last Saturday of November, my family and I drive uptown to sit and watch the parade together. The only time I haven’t been with my family to watch the parade was when I was in the parade. I love to see all the floats, people and organizations that I hold very close to my heart. I have such a soft spot for my community, so this tradition is very important to me.

Christmas lights tour

Now, this is a tradition that a lot of people have. Whether by myself or with family and friends, I always drive around to look at the Christmas lights. I typically try to do this the weekend before Christmas. I spend the evening listening to Christmas music and driving around my town looking at all the beautiful lights.

Opening gifts with my family

For as long as I can remember, my family and I always opened our gifts on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day. Before the pandemic, we went to church every year on Christmas Eve. My mom is the pianist at multiple churches, so she would be at a church service every Christmas Eve, regardless of what the rest of my family was doing. When my brother and I were younger, “Santa” would deliver presents to us while we were at church. After church, we would rush home and look at all the gifts that Santa had left us. Our family and friends would come over and my parents would prepare snacks for them. We would spend the rest of the evening talking and enjoying each other’s company. Once everyone left, it was finally time to open the gifts.

As I got older, I very much enjoyed this tradition. I got to sleep in on Christmas Day and didn’t have to rush in the morning before leaving to attend another gathering. This is by far my favourite tradition, and even though the pandemic has dampened this tradition just a bit, I still look forward to it every year.

Always remember that your holiday traditions are special. What you enjoy and look forward to during the holidays makes you unique. Never stop participating in your traditions and making the holidays awesome. I wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday season!

Amanda Morrison

Wilfrid Laurier '24

4th-year Psychology and Sociology major with a minor in Criminology at Wilfrid Laurier University.