This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I have always wanted to try using a food box service. They just seem so fun but I always heard mixed reviews about them. It was like everyone had tried one but me. Once I saw I good deal for a box, I knew right away I had to try it. Lucky for me, Hello Fresh gave a pretty good discount.

I think “good deal” is the keyword. I did not realize how pricey these boxes could get. I was lucky enough to have a roommate to split it with to make the price more reasonable. If we didn’t have a discount applied to it, I think splitting it would still have been pricey. We both agreed that these boxes would be reasonable if we had full-time jobs and were not students.

Even with them being pricey, it was a fun experience. They had quite a few meals to pick from which made it hard to choose. At the end of the day, we picked meals that were different but knew we would still enjoy. I mean, why go out of your way to order a meal service just to get food you already buy yourself? Hello Fresh was super creative with their meals. I thought the side dishes really stood out. Those are dishes I will (and already did) make again.

As I said, I usually tend to hear mixed reviews. First one being price. Although I agree it was high, it is nice to treat yourself now and then. Another thing I hear a lot is portion size. I thought the portions were enough to evenly share with two people. If you’re someone who likes leftovers, then you’ll need your own box for sure. The third complaint I have seen is that it is hard to recreate the meals as ingredients can be hard to find. At least with the recipes I got, I found this to be untrue. I mean, maybe some of the seasoning packets can be hard to find, but you can easily make them on your own.

Would I try this again? I think so. I do not think I would want to use it as a weekly service but rather a monthly one, just to change it up now and then. I also thought that a service like this would be perfect for weekend trips to the cottage. They were fast and easy to make and already have the food nicely packed up for you. Overall, I would say you have to try a box at least once. Who knows? Maybe they will have you coming back for more.

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!