Musical Soundtracks to Keep You Going This Essay Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Let’s be honest: November is rough. Essays are rough. This whole winter, the end-of-term thing is just … rough. And just because everything outside is Frozen, doesn’t mean we get to take a break, curl up with a peppermint hot chocolate and calm down for two seconds. It does, however, mean we need to kick our asses even higher into gear, to counteract the impending doomsday of inaction that comes with being overwhelmed. So what we need is something that will keep us pumped up and go-go-going all month long.

My solution: music … al theatre!

From the peppy beat of an opening to the swelling triumph of the finale, musical songs keep their audiences as in rapture, as we want you to be with your assignments. Plus, musicals nowadays have such a variety of styles, that even if traditional theatre isn’t your thing, you can try out some recent Broadway-style experiments and find something to listen to. But to spare you the effort that I know none of us right now realistically has the time to make, I’ve compiled a list of the best pump-up soundtracks to keep you energized this essay season. 

So sing, sweet angel of music! Help us to Be More Chill at this time when our essays make us want to pull our Hair out or Rent a car to take us all the way to Once Upon This Island! And hit shuffle on any one of these babies for The Sound of Music to keep your eyes open, feet tapping and fingers typing all November long.

Legally Blonde: The Musical

Beeeeeeend and snap, ladies! This one definitely has a more theatre-y vibe than some of the others on the list, but everything in here is a BOP. Plus, what better motivation to get through your papers than Elle’s Harvard triumph? Answer: there is none.

If little miss Woods, Elle can do it, you can do it too!

Mamma Mia!

Do I really even need to explain this one? It’s classic! It’s seventies Swedish sugar pop! It reminds you of Greek beaches and better times and dreams of Meryl Streep existing in her own sequel! Dance on, Dancing Queen! And throw that energy into the 500 words you’ve got left to go.

Hamilton: An American Musical

As the first — and pretty much only — hip-hop and rap-based Broadway show, this is a PRIME example of theatre for the non-theatre kids. Bonus? The song titles are super relevant to your November struggles. I don’t know about you guys, but I stop feeling “Helpless” if I “Take A Break” from working “Non-Stop” and find a way to be “Satisfied” with my assignment, because I am not throwing away “My Shot”! Just hit Play and get to …

Mean Girls

From before Tina Fey even walked on that stage, this show was taking the theatre world by storm. Listen to the soundtrack and there’s no surprise why. For a bumping pop-y take on an old favourite film, I definitely encourage you to check this one out! Suggestions include “It Roars,” “Revenge Party,” and “I’d Rather Be Me.”
Head Over Heels

Don’t let the Renaissance-y costumes fool you: the whole musical is set to hits from the 1980s rock band The Go-Go’s! This soundtrack is so perfect because you can enjoy some classic hits with a new musical-y twist. And let me tell you, they definitely got the beat. 

The show may be pre-modern, but this is how we’re really feeling:

Into the Heights

This whole show has the stamp of Lin-Manuel Miranda just casually being literally the most brilliant person ever? I could go on for ages about this show, but to just speak for the music, you won’t find something like this in any other musical! I could jam out to these Latin beats ALL DAY.

Who doesn’t want their studying to feel like this?

Anastasia

Okay, this one isn’t exactly as energetic as the others are, but my favourite musical deserves at least a mention, right? Rhetorical question — I know I’m right. Just stick to some “Paris Holds the Key to Your Heart” or “Rumour in St. Petersburg” if you really need to keep that beat going. But though Anastasia might not have the rush of the rest, the instrumental swells and Disney-vibes of this CLASSIC story do the trick too — see “Journey to the Past” and be amazed.

There are PLENTY of other musicals to choose from if you’re looking for some theatre goodness to listen to, but hopefully, this list will get you started. May your GPA be high as these hairstyles!

Brittney Payer

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Brittney is a fourth year History and Medieval Studies Major with minors in English and Spanish - so, basically, she's a massive nerd who does research for fun and is totally fine with that! She loves reading trashy romance novels and not-so-trashy fantasy novels, attempting to write short stories (likely also romances, trashy level TBD), researching obscure folklore, and belting out to her favourite broadway tunes. When not writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her bingeing some new telenovela or joining yet another campus club!
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.