This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Music is a huge part of everyone’s life. It is a universal language that connects people and makes one feel various emotions with no boundaries or limitations. It heightens and highlights memories and produces an environment filled with immense creativity and enhanced feelings. Music creates an experience that can be emphasized and prolonged with additional hobbies and interests. Check out the different music and activities that I enjoy and explore during my numerous moods.

Excited and Energetic

When I am in a good mood, I want to keep that feeling for as long as possible. I do this by listening to upbeat music at a loud volume and doing things that require the use of creative energy. Personally, I like to bake cookies, shop online or work out while listening to music that makes me excited and fuels my energy to keep me in a good mood.

“Motivation” by Normani – I can’t be the only one who misses Fifth Harmony, and this song is absolute perfection. Not only is this song upbeat, but it also gets me in the mood to be active.

“Into You” by Ariana Grande – Blasting this song makes me feel energized and will keep me moving. Her upbeat vocals create a positive and enthusiastic environment and always results in reducing stress and imitating my lively emotions.

“Wet Dreamz” by J. Cole – This song gets me pumped. It is 100% on my workout playlist and simply sends off some good vibes.

Sad and Anxious

Listening to sad music when I am feeling down is a way for me to connect with lyrics and better identify my feelings and thoughts. It is a distraction but also a trigger to repressed memories. Sad music is a coping mechanism and usually has a relaxing, calming and destressing effect on me. While I am in a gloomy mood, I like going on walks or drives to enjoy the outdoors, taking a nap or going through old photo albums, which helps get me out of an unhappy mood and self-reflect.

“Time” by NF – I have been a fan of NF since 2017. Though he started on a Christian record label, he made it a point to say that his music is for everyone. Though I love all of his albums, this particular song always finds a way of hitting me where it hurts.   

“Luxury” by Jon Bellion – I definitely recommend listening to all of Jon Bellion’s songs but watching the music video for this one is a must. It is a perfect metaphor for trying to escape depression and feeling so alone in this world, but in his case, it was a message of not wanting the powerful and disruptive influences that come with fame and luxury to change who he is.

“Take Me Home” by Jess Glynne – Jess Glynne has such a unique and distinctive voice. This song displays such raw emotion, and her vulnerability has helped me connect with my own emotions to release restrained feelings.

Angry and Upset

Rage anthems are not the only type of music I like to listen to when I am angry. Though it is normal to want to match feelings of anger, sometimes it is easier to release emotions by listening to songs that will put me in a different mood. While heated, I find that exhausting myself is a good way to combat those emotions and calm myself down. Focusing on different activities like redecorating my room or cleaning while listening to the following songs is a way for me to distract myself, but also use my energy in a productive way.

“Wildest Dreams” by Taylor Swift – This queen’s lyrics are so relatable, and once one of her songs is played, it is inevitable that an entire Taylor Swift throwback album will be played. Her songs are so empowering and inspiring, so it’s hard not to love her music.

“In My Head” by Ryland James – I’m not too familiar with Ryland James’ music, but I heard this song on the radio one day and really identified with it. This song is incredible and so underrated so give it a listen!

“Waves” by Dean Lewis – Sometimes it’s important for me to calm down and uncover the trigger to my anger. I find that listening to music that forces self-reflection is a good way to do that.

Thanks for reading! Be sure to check out these music artists and these amazing songs that help enhance, energize or express my emotions.

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!