Movember: Knowledge is Power but Moustache is King

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Movember is upon us, and the stylish moustaches on Laurier’s campus are becoming more noticeable. No shave November is a time set aside to focus on men’s health. Many know it is for raising money and awareness for testicular and prostate cancer, but it also includes men’s mental health.

The Movember Foundation of Canada fundraises for all issues surrounding men’s health. Participants are able to create an account on their website and begin fundraising for their own team. Men are able to post pictures to their account showing progress of their stylish moustaches for their supporters to see. Since 2003, $677 million has been fundraised through the Movember Foundation.

Movember is not limited to male participants. Collegiettes are encouraged to make a Mo Space and fundraise for men’s health even though they are not able to participate in the moustache growing! 

The Laurier community has been very active this Movember. Along with the Movember club, other committees at Laurier have taken it upon themselves to promote the importance of men’s health. Sigma Chi Laurier, a campus fraternity, is hosting their third annual Sigma Chi Walk for Cancer. The walk begins at 10am with a half an hour period before hand for registration. They will be donating all proceeds directly to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. 

New this year, the Sigma Chi Walk for Cancer will be selecting a Mister Movember. Participants can help select by donating to their favourite contestant’s Tilt account, liking their progress picture, and then attending the walk and casting a vote. Spend your Sunday morning fundraising for an amazing cause at the Laurier Sigma Chi house at 10am!

For more information, visit their Facebook event page 

November is quickly coming to an end, but it is not too late to find ways to participate and raise awareness on the issues surrounding men’s health. Visit the Movember Foundation of Canada’s website and set up your own account to begin fundraising!

Lauren Burnside

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem