Most Popular Character Costumes for Halloween 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There’s nothing better than dressing up as your favourite TV or movie character for Halloween, and this year there is no shortage of awesome looks to choose from! If you’re second-guessing your costume choice, there’s still time, so grab some inspiration from our list down below. Any of these costumes are sure to be a hit at any Halloween party and are perfect costumes for you and your girls, or you and your guy! 

Wonder Woman 

Let’s just get this one out of the way already, as the most popular costume of 2017 will probably be Diana Prince’s alter ego. While some will favour the updated look a la Gal Gadot, we’d bet money that you’ll still see a ton of traditional Wonder Woman costumes with a golden lasso in tow! This is the perfect costume for brunettes and looks even better if you can convince your guy to dress up as another superhero from the Marvel or DC universe. 

Stranger Things 

This was definitely a popular costume last year, but Stranger Things comes back with its second season on October 27th, so there’s just enough time to binge watch the new season and update the looks of the kids in time for Halloween 2k17. 

Riverdale 

Second to Wonder Woman, the gang from Riverdale appears to be one of the most popular costumes this season.  This show works great as a stand alone, group, or couples costume, as there are so many great characters to choose from, from Jughead to Josie and the Pussycats. Or, to stand out from the other Betty and Veronicas at the Halloween party, opt for the retro version of the characters with the classic art-pop style of the Archie Comics. 

The Mindy Project 

A personal favourite of mine! The Mindy Project is wrapping up its final season on Hulu, so what better time to dress up as the hilarious bunch from Schulman and Associates. Channel your inner Dr. L by pairing a white coat with a fun patterned dress and statement jewellery. Bonus points if you can get your friends to dress up in scrubs as Morgan and Tamra. 

The Handmaid’s Tale 

We expect to see a lot of handmaids after the show cleaned up at the Emmy’s! Plus, it’s a super easy and cheap costume if you’re looking for any last-minute ideas. 

Outlander 

For the History or English major, there is no better character costume than the ones that are Outlander inspired. Everyone loves heroine Claire Fraser for her intelligence and witty sense of humour, which is why she made our list. An added bonus is that this costume will keep you warm once it gets chilly outside! 

IT

This costume is more creepy than cute, but if you’re looking to scare your friends this year, dressing up as Pennywise is the way to go! Whether it’s store-bought, a DIY creation or simply a clown makeup look, this character is going to be a staple costume among friends. 

Spider-Man Homecoming

We fell in love with Tom Holland when the Brit took to the screen as Peter Parker, but the true star of the show is Zendaya’s character, Michelle. And if there are going to be a ton of Spider-Mans running around this year, then it’s only fair that MJ be represented as well. Bring out your inner goth with Michelle’s signature all black ensemble and minimal makeup. 

Beauty and The Beast 

Our seven-year-old selves are screaming! If you didn’t get your chance to dress-up as Belle when you were a little girl then you’re in luck, because the remake starring Emma Watson has brought this costume back by popular demand. This is the perfect costume for any Disney enthusiast! 

Baywatch 

Finally, we have a feeling that there will be a lot of lifeguards this Halloween. This costume is super cute but not very practical for cold weather climates – don’t even think about trick-or-treating because you may freeze to death! 

Happy costume hunting, Golden Hawks! 

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.
Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University