This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

My morning skincare routine is probably the best part of my day. Though it is definitely not equivalent to sitting in a nice, warm bubble bath with a face mask and cucumbers over my eyes, it is just enough to wake me up and refresh my skin. Every morning I ensure that I use my cleanser, hyaluronic acid, moisturizer, vitamin c serum and sunscreen. Throughout the week I also use other products like tea tree oil and face masks for both my skincare needs and as a form of self-care.

Cleanser

Since I first started my skincare journey over five years ago, I have used The Body Shop Vitamin E Gentle Facial Wash ($17.00/mL). It is super smooth, gentle and suitable for all face types. As someone with really sensitive and dry skin, this cleanser is perfect for removing makeup or simply cleansing without being overly harsh or stripping. Like all people should, I decided to try out some new products and recently discovered the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser ($18.97). I am obsessed with it and love that it is fragrance free, suitable for people with normal to dry skin and that it hydrates and replenishes the protective skin barrier.

Hyaluronic Acid

Though a lot of people recommend using a Vitamin C serum before hyaluronic acid, I prefer to use this first as I use it right after cleansing and on slightly damp skin. I have only recently discovered the benefits of using hyaluronic acid, and it has exceeded my expectations of hydrating my skin and brightening my complexion. I love The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 ($6.80) as it draws in moisture, provides hydration, replenishes my skin and is also vegan and cruelty-free. With just two-three drops in the morning, my skin feels soft and dewy throughout the day and provides a smooth surface for my moisturizer to be lathered over.

Moisturizer

Moisturizer is definitely essential to any skincare routine. The Body Shop Vitamin E Intense Moisturizer ($24.00) is lightweight, fast-absorbing, hydrating and thick enough for my dry skin. Though it is a bit more expensive than other moisturizers, I am usually able to buy it on sale for a lot cheaper. Even though I regularly chug three bottles of water, the weather really impacts my skin’s needs, and this cream provides intense hydration and nourishment for the entire day.

Vitamin C

The very first Vitamin C serum I purchased was The Body Shop Vitamin C Skin Boost Instant Smoother ($30.00) and I have used it for as long as I can remember. This particular one is smooth, lightweight and made for dull and tired skin. I have been searching for a new Vitamin C serum, and I will be trying out new products over the next couple of months to see what works well with my dry skin.  

SPF

I firmly believe that sunscreen is the most important step in an AM skincare routine. I have been trying various sunscreens but most of them have left white streaks and made my skin feel quite oily. As of now, I am using the Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense SPF 30 ($34.00). It is good for almost all skin types and is friendly for POC. It is super gentle, and with a combination of a little moisturizer, it leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft. One of the most important habits I have learned during my skincare journey is remembering to use products on your neck.

Chapstick

Though it is not normally mentioned when talking about skincare, I firmly believe that a good Chapstick is super important for people like me who get chapped lips, especially during colder days. I use the Chapstick Spearmint Moisturizing Lip Balm ($2.65), and it has worked absolute wonders for my lips.

Miscellaneous

A few times a week, I use other products such as face masks and serums like The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil ($13.00), which has helped with my blemishes and pimples, The Body Shop Nicaraguan Coffee Intense Awakening Mask ($6.00), which rejuvenates my skin and wakes me up and Pond’s Dry Skin Cream Facial Moisturizer ($10.34) for the days I am lacking moisture or hydration on chillier days.

Thanks for reading! Remember all skin types are different, and it is important to try different products to see what works best for you!

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!