Minimalist Details: The Little Things Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Being minimalistic does not mean a lack of substance. Instead, it refers to making the tiniest of details significant. If you’re ever seeking a new wardrobe change, or something to switch up an outfit, try to keep in mind that it’s not always necessary to make big alterations. Insert: minimalist trends. These types of trends are perfect if you simply want to update your wardrobe without spending too many bucks! In this week’s Friday Favourites list are my favourites among the latest looks found in the minimalist domain.

1. Fraying Jeans

I really like this trend, and any trend, that has to do with changing a pair of already owned jeans.  I’ve particularly seen people wearing jeans with frayed ends around a lot lately. It’s easy to do, and can turn a pair of “Plain-Jane” pants into your new favourite pair. You can accomplish this look by simply cutting off the hems and pulling out strays, but you don’t have to limit it to this. Try adding patches and rips in unusual places. These minimal details will be sure to make your jeans feel unique and your own!

2. Crew Socks

Although it may feel out of your comfort zone, and very Steve Urkel-esque, to hike up your tiny socks a bit more than you normally would, it can turn your outfit from basic to a classic look. Quite frankly, any interesting looking pair of these crew socks can really make an outfit. Check out this article on Socks that Deserve to be Seen for more ideas. 

3. Chunky Heels

Lately, chunky heels have been taking over the market over the typical long skinny heel. Next time you’re feeling a new pair of going-out shoes, keep in mind that the little detail of a thicker heel can give an edgier and bolder look to your outfit!

4. Chokers

Chokers have been one of my favourite minimalist trends lately. Dainty and fine necklaces are usually the first thing I reach for, but a choker gives off a bit of a classier look by drawing attention to the neck. You can easily obtain a choker by buying a shorter chain, or shortening one by hand, and putting your favourite pendant on it.

5. Nail Art

If you’re tired of the long, bright coloured statement nails, tone it down a bit with a pretty little design. Think of your nails as more of a blank canvas than anything else, so you can feel more liberated to bring out your creative side. The best thing about this trend is that you don’t have to hit up a nail salon for this. These minimalist manicures are amazing if you need some inspiration!

6. Patchwork Fur

Fur scarves and vests have been seen around often with the colder weather, mainly in neutral browns, greys, and blacks. However, if you’re looking into getting a new furry item, spice it up and try getting a more colourful product! It’s the perfect form of a colour pop to your dark Fall and Winter wardrobe. (Disclaimer: Please opt for faux fur when pursuing this trend!)

7. Suede

For any item that you would normally purchase, look for it in a suede version. Whether it is leggings, a t-shirt, or a dress, the suede material adds an element of maturity and clinginess to the body that somehow makes it all more appealing. This little change in your wardrobe can turn any outfit from basic to mod just from a material substitution.

8. Jacket Over Shoulders

This trend is the easiest of them all because all it requires is being lazy and not inserting your arms in your jacket. This makes your outfit look effortless and cool while still keeping you warm in the colder weather.

Style is what you make it and can be used as a form of expression. These are just some “minimal” tips that I believe have the ability to change an outfit drastically with little effort. Everyone has different styles and tastes, so I hope this Friday Favourites list has inspired you a little more to allow your clothes to reflect who you are by adding the subtlest touches to your usual outfits, and not be scared to try new things!

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem