This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Read more for some of my favourite things to do during the season between fall and winter, including outdoor activities and self-care ideas!

Food

Apple Pie. Baking is an excellent way to relax and try new things. Making apple pie from scratch can be a new and exciting dessert to try, especially for all those foodies out there like me. Since it is fall, I would have suggested a more traditional option like pumpkin pie, but I am not that big of a fan of pumpkins, so apple pie takes the win for me!

Tea. With the chilly weather fast approaching, the idea of warming up with a nice drink sounds very inviting. Personally, my go-to drink is usually hot chocolate, but any warm drink like coffee or tea can be calming and comforting. This November, I would love to expand my palate by trying a variety of teas that I haven’t yet indulged in. This includes white teas, matcha green teas, oolong tea and maybe even some herbal mixes.

Cookies. Though sugar cookies and gingerbreads are usually the go-to during colder months, personally, I always enjoy satisfying my chocolate cravings. During the next couple of weeks, I am going to try some new recipes for chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies and maple snickerdoodles.

Self-Care

New Playlists. Exploring new music is thrilling and enjoyable and creating a playlist to represent various moods can be an enlightening experience. I find it nice to light some candles, take a nice shower and listen to some new music in order to expand my horizons, and I sometimes take time to reflect on how I’ve changed and grown in the past couple of months. 

Products. To avoid bulk buying and purchasing items that have a lot of plastic packaging during Christmas and Boxing Day sales, I find it helpful to start early by doing research about a company’s values and attitudes before making purchases. There are various companies who have eco-friendly packaging and do huge sales in November to encourage customers to stop purchasing various products during sales in December that hurt the environment. For this reason, I find it vital to do some research beforehand to educate myself and promote an eco-friendly consumer stance.

Colouring Books and Journals. I have found that adult colouring books and journal writing are amazing ways to relax and express my creative side. Since the season of pumpkin carving is coming to an end and the season of hanging Christmas lights is yet to begin, taking a few minutes a day to look away from a phone screen or computer screen can be done by colouring or journaling.

Outdoors

Bonfires. Not only is a bonfire a great way to warm up, but it can also be a very relaxing way to destress and enjoy the outdoors. Bonfires create a sense of togetherness and embody an atmosphere filled with joy, laughter and comfort. Some of my most fond memories with friends and family are with cozy blankets, hot chocolate, s’mores and a dazzling flame.

Drive-in Movie. With COVID restrictions still in place, movie theatres are currently closed in most cities. Though this is the case, many places have opened drive-in movie theatres for anyone to enjoy a nice night out, while also complying with safety measures. My memories of drive-in movie theatres include devouring junk food and laughing with friends. 

Farmers’ Markets. Personally, I believe farmers’ markets are not only an excellent way to explore healthy food options, but they can also be a great way to show support to local farmers. They always create a sense of adventure and are obviously a great place to capture some cute Instagram-worthy posts.

Pumpkin Patch. Even though Thanksgiving has passed, visiting a pumpkin patch can help take a break from school stress as well as aid in enjoying the last few days of nice weather. For me, simply going outside and breathing in the fresh air can make a difference in clearing my mind and being more productive throughout the rest of the day. With that in mind, pumpkin patches mean cute corn mazes, photo ops and a day full of adventure.

Thanks for reading about some of my favourite fall activities! Give them a try and find what works best to alleviate stress and radiate relaxation.

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!