Midnights By Taylor Swift is Breaking Records and I’m Here for It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Midnights is Taylor Swift’s 10th studio album and it’s breaking records like never before! As a proud Swiftie, it feels insane that Swift is breaking so many records with Midnights 16 years into her career! Swift deserves to achieve these insane accolades because she is passionate about music and never fails to execute the most gravitating tunes for listeners and critics alike.

To start, Swift gets straight to business. Midnights has sold approximately 1.2 million copies in its first week. The fact that more people stream music than purchase it proves why this number is insane and solidifies the influence Swift holds on the music industry.

Speaking of streaming, Swift broke the record for the most single-day streams in Spotify history, garnering 184.6 million streams! She also became the most streamed artist in 24 hours and the most streamed female artist in history. The highly anticipated collaboration with Lana Del Rey has also achieved the HIGHEST number of single-week streams for an all-female collab in Spotify history, achieving 57.5 million streams! On Apple Music, Midnights is the biggest pop album of all time based on streams. Not only is Swift dominating the sales game, but also the streaming game!

It only gets better from here. On the latest November 5th-dated charts on the Billboard Hot 100, Swift is the first artist to occupy all top 10 spots, which marks the first time in history there is not a male artist on the Billboard Hot 100 in any of the top 10 spots! Swift is also known for having stellar bonus tracks. The entirety of Midnights (3 am Edition) is on the Billboard Hot 100! It is safe to say that Swift is an ultimate powerhouse.

Swift achieving these accolades in music is ground-breaking and will cement her legacy. Swift can reach different demographics due to her ever-adapting, creative and moving songwriting. In her discography, she encompasses different genres and continues to innovate her style. Throughout all of the various genres she makes music in, she continues to achieve success and break insane records within her music.

The Midnights era is probably the most emotional for me as a fan because Swift has previously discussed how she felt that her success as an artist would soon deteriorate, however, she has proven time and time again that she is not going anywhere and is only getting bigger. As long as she makes music, she will achieve success because the fans will continue to support and endorse her talents. After all, she is one of the most influential artists of our time!

As Swift continues to run the music industry, it is safe to say that she is not going anywhere. Taylor Swift is the music industry and continues to inspire many young artists! As she evolves as an artist, I will continue to be proud of everything she has achieved. Swift continues to deliver the most heart-wrenching, poetic and gravitating bodies of work that connect different people all around the world. Midnights alone has united old and new fans created a sense of unity, changed lives and left its legacy.

If you have yet to listen to Midnights by Taylor Swift, I strongly advise you to do so. Midnights is available on Spotify and Apple Music. You can also purchase it on CD, vinyl, cassette and digitally. Everyone should continue to listen to Midnights so she can keep breaking these insane records! Taylor Swift is leaving her legacy on the music industry and I’m here for it!

Sophia Guardado

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Sophia is an English Literature student at Wilfrid Laurier University. On her free time, you will catch her reading books, taking long nature walks or at the gym!