nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Men Answer the Questions You’re Dying to Ask: Wildcard Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Men. Guys. Boys. Also known as the mythical and confusing species that us women just can’t seem to understand, no matter how hard we try. Don’t even get me started on guys trying to understand us, because I know for a fact that we can be just as confusing. Final exams are hard, global warming still exists and neither gender can figure each other out. Those are life facts, and I don’t question it.

Except maybe now I want to question it, and maybe I have always wanted to. Don’t lie to me, I know you’re curious about them too – I see right through you! There are those days when there are just so many random things that I want to ask guys about out of the blue. Usually, I have no shame in doing that because I don’t seem to understand boundaries, but thanks to my panel of anonymous guys, I can now share those sacred answers with all of you! So get your popcorn ready as we interview four lovely gentlemen!

Q: Do you secretly enjoy rom-coms?

Owen: “Nah, not necessarily. I’m more of a thriller and mystery person, unless Jane the Virgin sort of counts as a rom-com.”

Connor: “Low-key, I’m pretty sentimental so I really like some, but mostly ones from my childhood. I don’t actively look for them now but I’m a sucker for Christmas rom-coms.”

Vincent: “K-dramas and Hallmark Christmas movies are a fun time!”

Charlie: “I don’t watch them often, but the few that I’ve watched have been pretty good.”

Q: How often do you go into deep chats with your friends and what do you usually talk about?

Owen: “More often than not, especially if it’s the boys who have no problems in life. As a matter of fact, just the other day, me and my guy co-workers had a two-hour chat about life and religion somehow. So, it does happen more often than not, and it doesn’t even have to be someone we know, it could just be a random person we meet at a party.”

Connor: “With guys, it’s usually more casual and messing around, but I’ve had some really deep talks about life ever since university started, especially when I’m drunk. With friends who are girls, it’s a lot more common though and usually guys are more than down to have deep talks.”

Vincent: “Almost never. Once or twice a year, if at all.”

Charlie: “For me, once every two to three months.”

Q: What are your thoughts on lingerie? Should girls buy it or not?

Owen: “A man has no right to tell a woman what to do. So, my thoughts are that girls get to do what they want to do, and I’m not here to judge or force.”

Connor: “I mean it’s up to the girl if that’s her style, but from a guy’s perspective, yes go buy it!”

Vincent: “I have no bias.

Charlie: “Big thumbs up! Obviously, it’s their choice.”

Q: What do you actually do at sleepovers?

Owen: “Haven’t had any planned ones lately, but if I crash at my friend’s place, we just talk about some boring stuff like ball and hockey, or just what’s going on in the world or in general. Or we just watch a movie or something.”

Connor: “Drink, get high, late-night food runs, video games, watch some comedy movie, talk about dumb stuff, things along those lines.”

Vincent and Charlie: “I’ve never been to a sleepover…”

Q: What is the most “unmanly” thing you’ve ever done?

Owen: “Some say it’s when you know the lyrics to certain songs. So, for example, I know the lyrics to “Love You Like a Love Song” by Selena Gomez. People are like ‘lol what’ and they think it’s ‘unmanly,’ but Selena is a queen and I just like the song so let me live.”

Connor: “Bought lingerie at La Senza. But it was for a gag gift!”

Vincent: “I can’t open jars.”

Charlie: “I can’t take a full shot in one go. I can’t think of anything really bad but this is the kind of thing I try and forget if it happens.”

Q: What do you guys actually want for Christmas?

Owen: “I mean, the want may differ depending on the situation. I just want some time to relax with the people around me, but sometimes guys might ask for the weirdest things. I know one of my guy friends wants body wash and that’s it, so it depends on how you’re doing.”

Connor: “Alcohol or video games. Once a guy got me this Korean facial wash though, not sure what he’s trying to say…”

Vincent: “I don’t want any gifts haha.”

Charlie: “The thought is what counts!”

Q: Do you sing in the shower?

Owen: “We sing in our heads I think.”

Connor: “100 percent, but only on chill days where we’re not in a rush. We also rap too!”

Vincent:” I don’t, I’m not too sure about other guys.”

Charlie: “Yes, a decent proportion, not me though.”

Q: How often do you cry and what do you normally cry about?

Owen: “I’m not sure. I mean personally, when something or someone is affected by something as vile as cancer, I think you feel something in you just a bit. But like if it’s something serious, you’re bound to show some emotion – it’s okay to be human. But I also think that there are times when you can’t help it. For example, as a former athlete, you hate losing and you can’t help but show emotion when you lose and that’s just because you have to compete to be successful.”

Connor: “I haven’t cried in a long time to be honest, since my mom told me that men don’t cry when I was a kid. I’ve seen my friends cry over girls but it’s extremely rare.”

Vincent: “Once or twice a year from school stress.”

Charlie: “I don’t cry much. I’ve probably been conditioned this way by society, something about men being expected to suppress their emotions.”

Q: What do you do if you feel like crying in public?

Owen: “Personally, I don’t want to cry in public, that’s what your shower is for! But I usually just try to find a quiet place to just calm myself down a bit and talk myself out of it, but I really don’t know when that has happened before.”

Connor: “I can’t really think of a time this happened recently, but I would just shove my face in my arms and wipe away the tears quick?”

Vincent: “I keep it in, go home and then cry.”

Charlie: “Book it to the washroom!”

Q: Is it uncomfortable to ride a bike or wear pants?

Owen: “Not it’s not. Pants are just pants, like they’re just a piece of clothing.”

Connor: “With some tight pants, it can be extremely uncomfortable, but bikes are fine.”

Vincent: “Definitely not.”

Charlie: “I think bikes and pants were designed with the male body in mind, so I never notice any problems.”

Q: What is your take on 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner?

Owen: “I mean, as long as my hair isn’t messed up, then I don’t really care.”

Connor: “I love using it to make things easier, but I heard they’re bad?”

Vincent: “I use it a bunch because I’m super lazy.”

Charlie: “Sounds great in theory but doesn’t work as well.”

Q: Does it bother you when a girl can lift more than you at the gym?

Owen: “Heck no!”

Connor: “When I see a girl at the gym kill it, I rate it heavily and think it’s dope. But I’ll be honest, if my girlfriend lifted more than me then I would feel insecure and would train to be stronger.”

Vincent: “Not really, because I’m super weak.”

Charlie: “It doesn’t bother me that she’s strong but seeing a fit person might remind me of how little fitness progress I’ve made in the last few years.”

Thank you to everyone who sent in their questions – I hope you got the answers you were looking for! We may never understand quantum mechanics or rocket science, but hopefully we can all understand each other a bit better now.

Melissa Wang

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Melissa is a fourth year business student at Laurier with a huge passion for writing and sharing stories. In her spare time, you can find her running a 5km, taking a personality test for the tenth time, binging a novel when she really should be studying or deeply analyzing everyone around her.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.