Meeting New People on Campus: It’s Easier Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The beginning of a new school year marks many other beginnings along with it, including new friendships! Whether you’re a freshman making the big transition from high school to university, the new girl on campus, or are just simply looking to expand your social circle, you’ve come to the right place! Here are some of the best tips and tricks for meeting new people on campus this fall.

1.     Introduce yourself

This tip is as simple as it sounds, and it’s quite possibly the easiest way to make friends fast. Whenever you’re going out, make a point to introduce yourself to at least one person, whether it’s on the way to class, in line for the food court, or inside your residence or housing. A simple “Hello” or “What are you up to?” can go a long way when it comes to befriending new people. Starting conversations is a great way to make your floor mates, classmates, and fellow Golden Hawks into friends for life. Although it might feel out of your comfort zone at first, taking the first step allows you to come off as confident, friendly, and personable all at once.

2. Attend classes at the Athletic Complex

Laurier’s on-campus Athletic Complex offers an extensive amount of classes that are held almost every day of the week. From boot camp to yoga, they’ve got it all. Signing up for classes at the gym is a great way to meet new people with similar interests to you, get in a good workout, and have fun while doing so! It also gives you an excuse to get that extra spin dip at Wilf’s.

3.  Join a club

If the gym isn’t your thing, then worry not. There are over 100 different clubs on campus! Whether your passion is politics, travelling, charity, or theatre, Laurier’s got you covered. The wide selection of clubs allows you to find something you’re genuinely interested in while making friends during the process. Joining a club gives you the chance to meet likeminded people who are passionate about the same things as you, and spend time with them on a regular basis!

4. Mix up your seating

Class is an excellent opportunity to get to know the people around you who you might not have even spoken to otherwise. Next time you attend class, take a break from your usual spot and try sitting beside someone new. This opens up a great opportunity for not only conversation, but future study groups, class partners, and group projects; all of which will help you get to know new people! Switching up your seats will turn what may have once been an uncomfortable sea of strangers into a friendly, welcoming environment.

5. Reach out to old friends

Seeing familiar faces around campus can be extremely comforting after days of new encounters. Old friends you’ve lost touch with, or even people you saw around but never really got to know, can turn out to be the answer to all your friendship needs. Picking up where you left off, or connecting with someone you wouldn’t have necessarily hung around with in high school, can be an easy alternative to starting from scratch.

6. Attend social events

When you’re at Laurier, there’s always something going on after hours. Parties, night clubs, bars, social gatherings, special events; you name it, we’ve got it. Our tight-knit community is especially welcoming and can easily make you feel like you’re in a room full of people you’ve known for a lifetime. Large social events make it super easy to meet new people in a fun yet easygoing environment; perfect for putting yourself out there! 

Best of luck, Golden Hawks! Dont forget to put your best foot forward!

Sophia Cole

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sophia Cole is a Writer and Editor for Her Campus WLU. She writes on everything from tongue-in-cheek topics like sex and relationships to easy reading pieces on the trials and tribulations of being a modern day woman. When she's not busy trying to be the next Carrie Bradshaw, Sophia enjoys spending time exploring new places, practising yoga and eating an abundance of different foods. 
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem